Tell me about tubeless...

The Stan's Sealant is what everyone around here uses. It isn't the least bit slimy or sticky and is easy to use. The reason I use the UST tires is the sidewalls are thicker and stiffer to support the tire with no tube in it. A non-tubeless tire will tend to roll a bit on the rim without a tube in it (it helps support it) and won't handle as well as the stiffer carcass UST.

Joes no Flats Super Sealant for me.

Not tried any others, it was the cheapest in stock, with good reviews sealant I could find at the time, Stan's was out of stock!

Works well, no punctures that I know about yet (tubeless from July)

All great advice, thanks again guys.

Pleasing to know I can stick on my skinwall Wildgrippers should the mood take me!..

One more thing, is it easy getting the sealant into the tyre? do you squirt it through the presta valve?!.
I take it you then spin the wheel to distribute it evenly?

KeepItSteel":39049346 said:
is it easy getting the sealant into the tyre? do you squirt it through the presta valve?!.
I take it you then spin the wheel to distribute it evenly?
I initially seated the tyre, then popped a 6" section of tyre off the rim and poured the sealant in, reseated the tyre pumped it up & sloshed it about for a bit.

You can squirt it through the valve if it has a removable core.

Oh, forgot this too..

Does the sealent remain permanantly soaked into the tyre?
Ive read hear and elsewhere that it doesnt cause a sticky gloopy mess..what is this wonder stuff?

The sealant eventually dries out-around here in this climate after about 6 months-and you need to put some more in. I have usually worn out the tire by this time, so for me it is a moot point. The method I use to put in the sealant is to seat the bead fully on one side, then seat all but the last 4-5 inches on the other side and pour it in and seat the last part of the bead. I think that if you use skinwall tires KeepItSteel, you won't have as good a handling tire as a real UST and you might have trouble getting them to seal up in the first place, then you will probably have to pump them up often which isn't required on a UST tire! :D

I went tubeless back in 08 and no punctures whatsoever to date!, although I am running proper hardcore mavic 819 UST specific rims.

Setting up is easy, just pour the fluid into the tyre and rapidly inflate to about 50psi to ensure the wheel "cracks " fully into place. C02 catridges help here!, also you can only use UST tyres which basicaly have harder side walls.

My brother has went tubeless with the Joes kit last year, which was easy to set up, and no punctures to date.

Reccomended

Kev

I've changed all of my wheels to tubeless over the last few years both by using a conversion kit and by using UST rims/tyres.

The only puncture I've had is because the sealant had dried out in the heat and I'd been too lazy to top it up [13 months].

Sometimes a "side Swipe" on a rock will make the tyre burp air but this would have probably caused the tube to split anyway.

When I first tried tubeless my LBS sold me some sealant that looked like the green snot that goes into tubes. After about a year bubbles appeared on the treads of my Maxxis tyres, [a friend had the same problem].

Since then I've used Stans with no problems.

Finally, the other week I started to count the dots of sealant that had appeared on the outside of my rear tyre indicating the number of times the tyre had been penetrated but got bored after 40!

Maybe we should start a thread to see who has the most?

Back