wheels with a nice click

sgw":s5bxkuph said:
personal taste if you like it or not but it did let pedestrians know you were coming. Also encouraged you to keep peddling.

A must in London :x They never look before crossing :roll: But the lovely noise of any quality hub like hub etc and stop and look :D

Do American classic make a noise has any body heard Tune hubs?

I get a lot of grief off mates about the noise off my rear Hope bulb but frankly I don't care. I love that meaty click. Good for scaring folk riding up behind them and then freewheeling.

I have some wheels with old Grimeca sealed bearing hubs. They weren't noisy, just Shimano click levels.

I had problems with chain slipping which I thought was the hub as the pawl retention spring was stretched. I replaced this spring with a coil spring, straightened and then wrapped around the freehub body, bent slightly inward where the pawls sit and it now sounds ace, and when turning the hub by hand you can feel the pawls engage with a real solid click.

Chain slipping was worn cassette, 2 sprockets.

Noisy hubs, DIY may do it.

Just wondering...

These noisy hubs tend to be in the higher/more expensive end of the range. Is this tendency for noisier hubs indicative of some different technology being used or is it more of a self advertising gimmick? if perfectly good hubs can be made almost silent, why are these ones noisy?

I would expect basic Newtonian physics would dictate that the energy used in moving larger and heavier components, in this case the freewheel pawls, is greater than moving smaller ones. Do these noisy hubs use some other method?

The Hugi and Rolf hubs on the wheels I recently sold had a very healthy click, but different enough that I could tell which wheel was which when Si played them back to me over the phone last week. :LOL:

Sad, me? :cool:

sgw":1pi5xyuk said:
Just wondering...

These noisy hubs tend to be in the higher/more expensive end of the range. Is this tendency for noisier hubs indicative of some different technology being used or is it more of a self advertising gimmick? if perfectly good hubs can be made almost silent, why are these ones noisy?

I would expect basic Newtonian physics would dictate that the energy used in moving larger and heavier components, in this case the freewheel pawls, is greater than moving smaller ones. Do these noisy hubs use some other method?

Thats actually a good point.
Noisy hubs tend to annoy me, but ive put the noise envy down to the similarity of a nice 6cyl BMW or Ferrari V10 engine exhaust note.

Or even Harley Davidson, whom have patented their exhaust note!

Is the hub noise an 'engineered' sound? or just a by-product of higher quality parts?

KeepItSteel":1n7zrbsk said:
Is the hub noise an 'engineered' sound? or just a by-product of higher quality parts?

Do you think it's more than just a playing card and a peg?

I had some ringle dirty flea hubs that had a lovely click subtle and expensie sounding,I like the silent one on my spinergy best though,,,dont mind the hope ti that I have on my zipps either though :cool:

Back