South Yorkshire

Cheers Si, thanks for that and if I can make it to any of the meets, I'll be there, might have a mate that may come along as well, that's unless he can get time off for good behaviour from the Governor ha ha ha

Mark

South Yorkshire folk

I am one of the lurkers, been on here for a while but only joined recently, I now live near junction 38 but born and bred Sheffield. I'd be up for some rides if we could organise them. :)

:LOL: I know it won't happen, but i reckon i should become the south yorks AEC.. :oops: a bunch of us southy's should get together for a ride soon :)

Welcome MikeyBoy to RetroBike and the NE section. Nice to have another Tarn Tyke on board.

Looks like we need to organise a couple of bimbles down Barnsley way. We do have one of our main monthly rides for next year earmarked for the South Yorks area for starters but if you guys want to set up some more regular meets just let me know.

mikeekim89":153b90ei said:
:LOL: I know it won't happen, but i reckon i should become the south yorks AEC.. :oops: a bunch of us southy's should get together for a ride soon :)

You are lucky not to have broken your foot.

You don't need to be an a.e.c. To organise a ride dude. Just post up in the yorks area "i'm off for a ride on x date. Going to be 20 miles or so. All welcome" and see who's up for it.

We did that in our area a while ago and now have a couple of friends i didn't have before.

It might not be as simple as that now Lewis.

Liability has reared it's ugly head I'm afraid. John and Mark have been trying to sort something out over the last few months but it's a minefield. At one point it looked like there would be no more RetroBike rides at all.

In the future any ride organised on this site will have to be added to an official register and once vetted will be approved and given the green light. It will also have to be attended by an AEC or deputy (hence the areas getting an extra deputy next year.)
Any rides outside this framework will have threads deleted and it made clear that it has no association with this site, it's owner or event organisers.

There will also be a signing on procedure at the start of each ride and basic checks will be made to bikes and kit- no helmet, no ride for example.

It's not ideal, and something I'm not too pleased about but if it means we can continue doing what we are doing then I guess we have to work this way.

Of course there is nothing to stop you organising ad hoc rides of your own but it will be on your own backs from now on. It's okay if you ride with people you already know but if a complete stranger turns up, has an accident and decides to sue......

It might be an idea to think about how to work out such ad-hoc rides in a, let's say, less visible manner. But be careful!

Dr S":hpd7unz5 said:
It will also have to be attended by an AEC or deputy (hence the areas getting an extra deputy next year.)

If there's going too be a space ;)

Any rides outside this framework will have threads deleted and it made clear that it has no association with this site, it's owner or event organisers.

Doesn't that make ALL Area groups pointless? Surely if we can't arrange our own rides, We should apply to John or our area's AEC for permission too ride with a few people that're local that we can only contact on here.

There will also be a signing on procedure at the start of each ride and basic checks will be made to bikes and kit- no helmet, no ride for example.

It's just a few guys going for a ride together, Isn't it upto them if they choose too wear protective gear or not? If there big enough not too wear the gear, there big enough too get to the hospital with any injury's?

It's not ideal, and something I'm not too pleased about but if it means we can continue doing what we are doing then I guess we have to work this way.

We're not really doing what we're doing though are we, Things are getting too formal on rides, I've never been on one with members from here due too lack of ability too travel, But it seems that if there is a checklist and all kinds of other things too do, We may as well all join a registered club in our own local areas..

Of course there is nothing to stop you organising ad hoc rides of your own but it will be on your own backs from now on. It's okay if you ride with people you already know but if a complete stranger turns up, has an accident and decides to sue......

How can a stranger sue fella, As far as anyone's going too be concerned, It's not linked too the site, If we all got a disclaimer too sign before a ride, it'd be a much better idea, Surely.. And it'd give us our own freedom to do as we will on the rides within reason, Without the possibility of a law suit if you go a little too fast, Fall and try too sue a website that has no liability.

It might be an idea to think about how to work out such ad-hoc rides in a, let's say, less visible manner. But be careful!

That's what happens for the most part anyways, There aren't enough AEC rides for alot of the people on here, Who ride weekly with friends, Will these rides be moderated too?

Just my thoughts fella.

Some good points which i will try and answer. Remember I am just doing my job. These are not my decisions although i can see why they have been taken and support them fully. last thing I need is someone sueing my ass. Don't shoot the messenger etc etc.

mikeekim89":4vtczox6 said:
Dr S":4vtczox6 said:
It will also have to be attended by an AEC or deputy (hence the areas getting an extra deputy next year.)

If there's going too be a space ;)

A second Deputy has been appointed already. An announcement will be made soon.

Doesn't that make ALL Area groups pointless? Surely if we can't arrange our own rides, We should apply to John or our area's AEC for permission too ride with a few people that're local that we can only contact on here.

The point of the Area Groups was to set up local and national events. This is what we are doing. We can, as an Area Group, arrange our own rides but they will have to be submitted to the National Events Co-ordinator (Mark Sinnett in 2011) who will sign it off if the conditions of good practice and the requirements of the liability insurance have been met. Clashes with events in the National Event Series (of which there will be seven main events next year) will not be allowed in 2011 either.
For a sanctioned ride to take place a AEC or Deputy will have to be present to make sure that things are done to ensure that everyones safety is taken into consideration and the interests of the site are maintained. We will be putting on around 15-16 rides next year in NE section alone, but we cant be everywhere all the time- remember we are volunteers and do this out of our own pockets- there are no travel expenses to fill up the tank.
Of course you can still meet up with your local riders who you know on this site for a ride- its a free country, but it has to be arranged in private, outside the site as anything arranged on this public forum can be construed as being organised by the owners and its agents. Mobile numbers and PMs are handy for this.

]

It's just a few guys going for a ride together, Isn't it upto them if they choose too wear protective gear or not? If there big enough not too wear the gear, there big enough too get to the hospital with any injury's?!

Again, you can do what you want in your own time and place but if you are coming to a RetroBike Event, certain safety requirements will have to be met. I have a friend who thought he was big enough not to wear a helmet. He certainly wasnt able to drive himself to the hospital and now wears a nappy and requres 24hour care. Not nice for those who were there when his accident took place or the family that his selfishness destroyed!

]

We're not really doing what we're doing though are we, Things are getting too formal on rides, I've never been on one with members from here due too lack of ability too travel, But it seems that if there is a checklist and all kinds of other things too do, We may as well all join a registered club in our own local areas.. !

RetroBike and its rides have grown over the last few years. What has gone from just a few friends from a forum has become 30-35 people on a ride. If anything it is becoming a victim of its own success. The prospect of something going wrong has been a great worry of late. The site owner had two choices- become more formal and cover his back, or stop the rides from being promoted altogether. We live in dark times now and a solictor is around every corner.

]

How can a stranger sue fella, As far as anyone's going too be concerned, It's not linked too the site, If we all got a disclaimer too sign before a ride, it'd be a much better idea, Surely.. And it'd give us our own freedom to do as we will on the rides within reason, Without the possibility of a law suit if you go a little too fast, Fall and try too sue a website that has no liability.

Times have changed, the website does have a liability. If a ride or event is organized by a body, then that body is responsible for the outcome. Solicitors know every way imaginable to get a claim in. These rides are openly organized on this site- if it were a private forum it might be different, but as a public forum, offering rides to members of the public then it has to follow certain standards. A disclaimer will have to be signed at the beginning of each ride from now on as well as contact details for someone to be contacted should anything go wrong.

]

That's what happens for the most part anyways, There aren't enough AEC rides for alot of the people on here, Who ride weekly with friends, Will these rides be moderated too?

Again, its up to you who and where and how often you ride, its a free country, but you won't be able to organize this in a public manner. Any unorthorized ride will be deleted straight away from this site. What you do with your PMs and gathering of contact numbers and emails is entirely up to you ;) ;)

I hope that has answered your worries. It sounds draconian but as someone turning up to the rides you won't notice any difference apart from signing a bit of paper and adding mum/granny/wife/husbands number. Its a little more (OK, a load more work for John, Mark and the AECs) but if it means we can sleep at night without fear of claims direct coming knocking at the door then so be it.
There is lots of positive news regarding next years rides to follow so its not all bad. The rides will still be free to join in and we are about to announce a sponsor who will be giving away a few goodies on the rides.

Cheers
Si

Ta fella, you made some good points in your replies, I'll hsve too take a look at the area ride list

(And buy a helmet it seems)

Back