My 98-99 Orange E4

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Orange.jpg

FRAME: 17"(ish...can't remember the exact size now, it's been a while!) Easton Elite Orange E4
FORK: Pace Proclass with groovy TiN coated sliders
HEADSET: Richie Logic 1 1/8" A-head
BAR: Kore race XC riser
STEM: Easton EA50
SEATPOST: Kore Race 26.8
SADDLE: Orange
GROUPSET: Full 98-99 XT EXCEPT...
CRANKS & RINGS: Middleburn RS7
FRONT HUB: Hope Sus
RIMS Mavic 217 sus gold anodised
SPOKES: DT (plain gauge)
NIPPLES: Orange anodised

I've still got the original stem, seatpost and bars and I have to say she's in fantastic nick. There's no dings or chips in the paintwork, the gold coating on the forks is still fine and the 217s have still got loads of life in them. Even the XT Vs are relatively unworn! :shock: The only thing I have done is remove the decals from the frame and fork to make her just a little less conspicuous when she's locked up in town. (Not sure it works though!)

cherrybomb":1kymbjy8 said:
RIMS Mavic 217 sus gold anodised

Just to be sure. From the attached picture they look like grey anodized 217 CD (couche dure) version. Or are they the so called "rainbow" or "sunset" version?

By the way, I am not a fan of taking off stickers, especially to ride such a rig in the city. City bike shouldn't be so pretty :cool:

Bit of a typo in the original post! :roll:

They're 217 SUP U.B. Control. and they're anodised a champagne colour (don't know what it's called) with machined braking surfaces.

Sorry I can't be more accurate, they were ordered over eight years ago and my memories not what it was. ;)

As for the sticker thing; needs must and all that. She's my only ride at the mo and I need somthing to battle the traffic and be inconspicuous when locked up. :? (not sure of the success on the second bit :?: )

I'm looking for a proper steel framed hack (old P7 etc.) so she can be kept for special occasions, but for the time being.........

but she is sweet, ain't she? :cool:

Whats your view on the riser bars?
If we're going for the 'retro' look, then flat bars are the way to go. But, having just purchased my Avalanche Expert I can't decide whether to get rid of the riser that it came with, because I quite like them! :LOL:
I see you have risers, and are clearly a 'retro rider', so what do you think??? :?

Dunno if I have a view on them really.

I've still got the original bars and stem (and some X lite bar ends) and in all honesty, I can't make my mind up which is best.

As for them being 'retro' I used to have Club Roost Risers (with an I Beam stem) on my Zaskar LE back in the day, ('93-'94) when it was new, so I guess they are correct for steeds of that kind of age, just probably not OE.

Hmm :? :?
Will probably swap them for a week or so and see how I get on.
I think for playing in the woods, jumping and 'avin a laf' the risers are best. But for proper XC action, the straight bar with bar-ends is best.
I think I'll leave the riser on my RTS and put a straight bar on the Expert, have the best of both! :D

Welcome to Retro BTW, I see your a newbie. You'll be hooked in a couple of days..... ;)

I thought it was time for an update as she's had a few bits and bobs done since the last photos.

Now there are new decals for frame and fork and she is sporting her original flat hotrod bars with x-lite bar ends. The slicks will be going now as she no longer does the commute.

I've been having a bit of a think and I reckon I'll swap the cranks for some STX arms with a Pace spider adapter and black & gold rings. That should be reasonably light and 'trick' in a quirky English kind of way. :D (It'll match the RC36 forks too. :cool: )

I'd like to try and find a set of Maguras too if anyone has any. ;)

Not a brilliant photo, but.......(She really need some fat tyres!)
DSCN3256.jpg

DSCN3257.jpg

DSCN3258.jpg

IMO it would be a shame to go down from nice Middleburns to STX, especially given the mech's are XT.
IMO if you really feel the need to change the cranks slip on some nice black LX ones. Would work really well with the orange frame :cool:

GTRTS&AVALANCHE":16zg9jws said:
IMO it would be a shame to go down from nice Middleburns to STX, especially given the mech's are XT.
IMO if you really feel the need to change the cranks slip on some nice black LX ones. Would work really well with the orange frame :cool:

I seem to remember that the stx/pace conversions was one of the coolest things to have at one time.

it weighed less than the xt too...

Back