Dave Lloyd, Reynolds 753 fillet "chaos theory"...

....dave lloyd bitd......

...i would like to say thank you to maverick for originally scanning this and sending it too me, !!!!!!!! im sure your a steel man at heart really too............???????

this is well worth a read, it sheds a lot of light on Dave Lloyd starting his own company as a master builder, it touches on his history as a road racer/mountain biker, his time with the quality frame bulider Harry Quinn, and the difficulties small ENGLISH custom frame builders, had right at the beginining of it all, with what we take for granted today......supply of shimano, and even a frame builders difficulties in trying to get tubing changes/supply for wishbones etc.

i have found it has jogged my aging memory , and totally fascinating.!!!!! :shock:

Attachments

• dave_lloyd_three_148.jpg
    dave_lloyd_three_148.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,057
  • dave_page_two_690.jpg
    dave_page_two_690.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 2,057
  • dave_page_0ne_155.jpg
    dave_page_0ne_155.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 2,057
tick tock tick tock.....

Well time is ticking on now, and ive started to count down the days.....tick tock, ....ive had to pull my finger out, and start work, on sum of the second hand parts that have been slowly arriving, (spending far too much time finishing other builds,).....it dawned on me, roughly a week to go, (fingers crossed and all is well..x), and it should be collection time for the frame.

I have been quite lucky so far, in sourcing sum correct parts for the frame, all used, no real N.O.S parts, i didnt feel the need to spend silly money on unused stuff, im going ride it, and enjoy it, and certainly not build a garage queen. with this said though, its got to look nice as a finished build, (something i can feel proud off) and work and run like shopfloor new...

the excitement really hit me, when my wheels arrived, i felt very anxious opening a box of handbuilt, oldskool wheels, i had a set back in the day, Dave lloyd use to spec them too, and never thought i would find a good set, but when i opened the box i was over the moon, period correct, Mavic MA40 MB rims, on xt hubs, with dt stainless double butted spokes, awesum......and perfectly packaged just needs a polish (which i have yet to do)

Attachments

• and very well kept too....jpg
    and very well kept too....jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,968
  • its been a long time, since ive seen these.jpg
    its been a long time, since ive seen these.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,968
  • very well packaged for a change.....jpg
    very well packaged for a change.....jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,967
  • the excitement......its building.jpg
    the excitement......its building.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,968
:shock: Lovely set of wheels you have there :shock: :cool:
what is the paint scheme going to be then :?: any clues would be nice :LOL:

the joy of washing machine parts.....

some of the parts that have been sourced for my build, were cheap enough to take a chance on, set of brakes for £5 quid for example, and so on, granted when some of the bits arrived, it was clear they probably havent been cleaned for the last 20 years, but nothing a little spit and polish couldnt sort out........the best thing about using old stuff..............., i reckon its made far better than sum of the tat that we buy new today....my case in point brakes/cranks etc, here we are 20 years after manufactured date(approx), and with a little tickle... it shines, all over again, and is in perfect working order........ive noticed the ebay madness thread, and in my opinion, unless its urber rare, why go mad, theres nothing like the satisfaction of taking what one man considers rubbish, and making it your pride and joy......!!!!!!!!!!!

( please dont laugh at my homemade polisher, if graham obree can build a world hour record bike using washing machine parts, i can use a motor from a washing machine, to save time and money, and my poor aging hands.......lol)

Attachments

• buff xt crank arms.jpg
    buff xt crank arms.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,965
  • polishing cont.jpg
    polishing cont.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,965
  • xt cont.jpg
    xt cont.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,965
  • handmade polisher, a life saver.....jpg
    handmade polisher, a life saver.....jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,965
the parts list

....As i have said, im going to try and stay true to the original choices Dave lloyd had back in the day, and although he did have issues with supply of shimano, it was availiable, if a little sparse, but fast forward to today, and now its availiable, i can ride it and if it breaks, i can replace it, at a relatively low cost..!!!!!!

as for the finishing kit, well leopards, dont change there spots, and there were certain items that were must haves, for me, that i certainly did use myself bitd, and i will use them for this build too, and were period parts for this frames build date, (god im old...lol), Selle Italia Turbo saddle, Panaracer tyres, Odi attack grips, Tioga, Tange, etc etc, ...

here are sum pics of how far ive got with things so far..........

Attachments

• strarting to get there now.....jpg
    strarting to get there now.....jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,958
  • they are starting to look better now.jpg
    they are starting to look better now.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,958
  • polished xt.jpg
    polished xt.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,957
  • T-bone.....prestige stem..jpg
    T-bone.....prestige stem..jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,958
prestige

tioga t-bone stem, polished chrome tange prestige......old skool...!!!!!!!

Attachments

• xt thumbies ..a must have....jpg
    xt thumbies ..a must have....jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,953
  • it had to be a turbo.....jpg
    it had to be a turbo.....jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,953
  • new chainrings.jpg
    new chainrings.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,953
  • good old tange.....jpg
    good old tange.....jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,953
marin man":2fzz3l7h said:
:shock: Lovely set of wheels you have there :shock: :cool:
what is the paint scheme going to be then :?: any clues would be nice :LOL:

thank you........as for the colour, im holding my breath, dont want to say too much, as my idea, well......nothing i do is ever simple and straight forward, lets just say i hope my idea works and when i see it i fall in love with it, and it does justice to to the builder.......(a lot of nail biting going on here....lol..) all i can say is watch this space...... ;)

just read through this. pleased i did.

your polishing looks great. is it possible to warm that sticker on the stem and straighten it up?

interested to see the bike come together. when is your birthday?

lewis1641":1p6emdjt said:
just read through this. pleased i did.

your polishing looks great. is it possible to warm that sticker on the stem and straighten it up?

interested to see the bike come together. when is your birthday?

thanks lewis, i must admit, i do have new stickers for the stem, as the one i havnt pictured isnt straight either...., my birthday is the middle of the month, so providing there have been no issues with the frame, it may well be built in time.

Back