8 speed versus 9 speed in mud - discuss

8 speed for bobbins prices, thicker chains and cogs, longer life in my oh-so-long experience. Currently running 7 speed on the Kilauae just to take the p1ss.

I used to dream about Rohloff but after running Alfine for a while and being very impressed I couldnt get away from the fact its a heavy set up, and harder to get up and over obstacles.
Couple the fact that Rohloff is heavier than Alfine and the dream is quashed for me.

Alfine 11sp is tempting, as its lighter, but still probably not light enough.
When shimano come up with an 11sp/14sp Alfine system that is almost the same weight as a conventional derailleur system, then they will really be cooking with gas.

Having said all that, Alfine/Rohloff woudve worked alot better on the muddy sunday blast!
I think LGF has a point though, its was really sticky/clay based mud that was causing all the problems.

Never had any issues with 1X9 setup but could be the loam/mud type.

Agree on the Alfine system, weight is the only negative really, other than that it's absolutely perfect for MTBs

Didn't miss any shifts on the ride last Sunday but I do think I need a new chain as it sounded grumbly.
At least you didn't have a seat that tried to insert itself where the sun don't shine during the downhill sections :D .
I'm now trying to source a new seatpost for that bike.

Carl.

Maybe I should have dragged the old 1990 Dire Mountain out of the loft. I don't like getting it muddy though, :? it is my nostalgia trip bike so I only ride it on sunny days which makes me forget its shortcomings!

SP

8sp for on the road and off it here. OK, so I broke an 8sp mech at Hillingdon the other weekend but that was exceptional circumstances and really boggy conditions....not to mention that said mech had seen 8-9 years' worth of use for 'cross!!
Gear mechs/shifters might be hard (and pricey) to come by for 8sp these days [1] but cassettes are still easily had at reasonable cost (18 quid for a wide-ratio road SRAM PG850 job from CRC earlier in the year), and decent 8sp chains are dirt cheap compared with ones for 9/10/11.

David

[1] Although 20 quid to replace mine 2nd-hand [2] is peanuts compared to the guys who are using carbon Campag 10sp/11sp mechs and writing those off!
[2] And I got a front mech with it. Bargain!

Back