1999 Specialized FSR Elite *not rebuilding it.... honest...*

Should i get the frame Powdercoated Black?

• Yes, do it black and fill it with nice gold hope bits

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, keep it as it

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
so, that BB... heres the story
i have a set of Race Face Prodigy cranks that i had earmarked for this bike,
i needed to get a bottom bracket to suit them as the one i have is a 68mm,
but this frame is a 73mm shell, so todays search of all LBSs came up with zero
there isnt a 73mm shell bottom bracket on the fylde coast for sale

so..

i took the Race Face Ride XC and Hope external BB off my Saracen Tufftrax,
the Prodigys and standard BB went on to replace them
this way i get a little closer to finishing this build (or at least getting it rideable)

also while out today i bought some grips to complete the front end set up
perhaps controversially some Ergon GP1-S, i've been toying with the idea of a pair of these for a while,
and after trying a pair it had to be done

i also picked up the rear disc i needed and got some red anodised valve caps for my MountainCycle Moho
next job will be facing the Sharkfin adapter with the Hope Spot facing tool
as there is quite a lot of rub and no adjustment for the caliper
also the tyres went on today, i had them already as they came off my Boardman FS Team when i replaced them with some Maxxis Ignitors

shoeson008.jpg

shoeson007.jpg

shoeson006.jpg

shoeson019.jpg

Hi ML,
Can I just check - there's a big washer both sides of where the chainstay mounts to the frame?

I had a look at the bearings in my chainstay - they have Enduro 6000RS on them. Checked a few places - ChainReaction sell super-duper 6000LLB for £28 EACH!
But I reckon the place to go is good ole BETD - a couple of 6000 2RS are £7 for the pair - much easier on the wallet!
There are other bearing-type places that also sell these - but they actually work out about the same at BETD - and I'd rather buy from them

got a pair of those grips on my other half's GT that used to belong to me, Loz. I think they're amazingly comfortable, especially for the longer rides.

ok,
today saw a slight change of plan with the rear disc.
i didn't think the 180mm rotor looked right, so i have put an avid 165mm rotor on and a hope mono mini off my Saracen, the M4 has gone onto that.

fin004.jpg

fin005.jpg

also today the postie brought a black 34.9 Hope seatclamp from Khane and a 34.9 FD-M750 from Brocklanders023 so that means i can complete the build.

after a rummage in my spares box for some outer cable and some coloured cable ties here is the finished bike

fin006.jpg

fin002.jpg

fin011.jpg

fin007.jpg

fin003.jpg

no doubt it will evolve slightly as it gets used, or if the right parts come up :)

now get out and ride it.

i honestly cannot fault my 98 FSR it rides so well
it could perhaps do with a shock upgrade but the rockshox on it still works.

I've got a hose guide for the front end and a blanking bolt for the right hand seat stay brake pivot delivered from chainreactioncycles
05f89787.jpg

243aa81c.jpg

I had to tap out the frame for the M10 brake blanking bolt as one of the previous owners has forced in a narrower threaded brake post making a mess, all good again now though :)
c7520a44.jpg

Latest posts

Back