New Bike Chat -->1998 on section

Ummm ... sorry for the negativity, but I really don't like it...

I thought bike chat was people into bikes talking about bikes. Why split it up? The website attracts old-school riders and most of the threads are about retro-bikes, but pretty much everyone has bikes from different eras. If a thread about 2010 frames sickens you then don't participate!

I really don't like splitting the sales stuff up either. Two MTB sales forums split by year of manufacture? Just makes it less pleasant to navigate. I hate to sound like a cynic, but its an invitation for tedious, pedantic interweb spats over dates.

i-am-iron-man":1du7dz7i said:
I thought bike chat was people into bikes talking about bikes. Why split it up? The website attracts old-school riders and most of the threads are about retro-bikes, but pretty much everyone has bikes from different eras. If a thread about 2010 frames sickens you then don't participate!

The other bits are your opinion to which you are entitled. However the comment I have quoted I have to disagree with. This site is dedicated towards retro bikes - it is one of a handful of such sites on the interweb. As such discussion on 2010 bikes has no place in Retro MTB chat. Of course you are welcome to dicsuss them here....

John":1v6w7m03 said:
The other bits are your opinion to which you are entitled. However the comment I have quoted I have to disagree with. This site is dedicated towards retro bikes - it is one of a handful of such sites on the interweb. As such discussion on 2010 bikes has no place in Retro MTB chat. Of course you are welcome to dicsuss them here....

Either way: splitting up MTB For Sale just makes it less pleasant to use. I liked it when the road stuff was seperated from MTB, it encouraged more stuff to get advertised. However, with some of my kit I've got no idea if its pre-or-post '98 (I don't know what year my Clockwork is); the last thing I'd want if I advertised something is for a retro-argument to unfold on the year of manufacture, with squalks of "That's after '98! Wrong forum! Wrong forum!". There's definitely people on here that'd do that! Plus you're more likely to miss out on stuff that crops up for sale that you didn't realise you wanted.

But! - I appreciate its your interweb forum, and at nine o'clock on a Saturday night, we should probably both be thinking about turning our computers off and doing something else...

The classified split won't be moderated with a fist of iron nor will we let the pedants run riot. If it doesn't work it will be changed.

I don't have much of an opinion on the split, as it makes little difference after the original chat split if we split even further. But as many seemed confused by the arbitrary date, I'll just add for clarification that it surfaced a couple of years ago after much discussion and humming and hawing that 10 years or older would be a good cut-off date. Probably because 10 years was an even and round number, and not so much to do with V-brakes or suspension technology from what I can remember. In theory then, the split should be in perennial change (making my two 2000 ti konas retro from September of ´09), but it seems the 98 cut-off has become somewhat fixed. At any rate, that was how it came about for those of you who are curious.

On a side note, I never found the date alone principal to be wholly sufficient, as my 2000 King Kahuna not only shares the DNA of its 98 predecessor, but they are, to the best of my knowledge, identical aside from decals, serial number and fabrication date. Any other differences are probably so subtle, only Anthony, Dr. Dew and a handful of other people could probably tell the difference. :)

can someone explain to me what should be put where now?
i.e ive just had a searpost thread moved to chat 1998 from general and off topic
im far from complaining, just wondering what content base goes where? ;)

I guess if its anything to do with a bike after 98 put it in here. If you want an opinion on curtains and such got to GC.

Another positive aspect of the spilt is that I'm sick to the back teeth of folks moaning about disc/suspension and modern bikes in general, hopefully they'll manage to stay away!

The '98 split although a little arbitary was far more than '10 years ago'. The goalposts as it were will never be rolling although whose to say the forum won't develop further over time.

cyfa2809":2v0ka0an said:
can someone explain to me what should be put where now?
i.e ive just had a searpost thread moved to chat 1998 from general and off topic
im far from complaining, just wondering what content base goes where? ;)

Think I set if out pretty clearly in the first post. 'What my dogs having for tea' posts in general and off topic. Bike stuff in here.b

As John says, 98 was arbitrary, but as stated elsewehere, it was a bit of a turning point for riding, racing, genres, bits, and mountain biking in general.

Definition of retro isn't important. If your 99 IF is in retro MTB, hey, who cares. Some bikes feel more old school, some most definitely do not. Need a stake somewhere.

Important thing is don't get hung up. Post up, relax, and enjoy having a place where we can chat about newer stuff too. Its not a segregation thing, people wont shun 98 bikes now (well anymore than before ;)).

Give it a chance, and feel free to comment after used for a while, all useful feedback

:D

Latest posts

Back