Cycling threads ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
What do cyclists wear these days when cycling, as I think I am kind of stuck in the past with my ideas as searching out the stuff I used to use back in the day, I am finding it hard to find and expensive, more expensive comparatively than what it was before.

Off road and on road it used to be roubaix tights and racing cape, I gather that is not de rigeur for these days, so what do people wear on road and off for recreation and commuting ?

Off road=cargo shorts and a t shirt or loose jersey....unless you are a bit odd then its lycra :LOL:

I wear 3/4 length baggy shorts in the summer with padded lycra underneath
and a cycling shirt from Sports Direct because of practicalities with pockets and the long cut back.

I've not really nailed down my winter wear yet... I picked up some longer trousers with padding... But I need something to keep my upper body warm. A gilet or something maybe.

Top that off with a pair of old Vans skate shoes and a pair of Oakleys... I look a pillock :D

baggy shorts all year round. t shirt in summer. base thermal/t/fleece/waterproof in winter

Winter....

Endura long sleeve dry fit shirt
3/4 runners tights
scruffy old pair of baggy shorts
polaris waterproof
northwave spd shoes

Summer....

sleeveless dry fit shirt
scruffy old pair of baggy shorts
northwave spd shoes

Dont care what i look like as long as i'm comfy and warm/cool enough

jeans and t shirt all year round, and a jacket/jumper (unless its hot, or when i get hot)

Summer:

short sleeved cycling top or Merino T Shirt (depends on weather)
Lycra shorts under Endura singletrack shorts
long finger cycling gloves
smartwool socks

Winter:
Merino base layer (short sleeve or long sleeve depending on how cold it is)
Endura rebound softshell if not too wet, or Berghaus RG1 if very wet
Endura Superlite waterproof shorts if wet, or Humvee 3/4 baggies if dry (both with lycra shorts underneath)
Merino Sealskinz socks (with merino liner sock if very cold)
Sealskinz MTB gloves if very cold & wet
A Buff to keep draughts out around the neck area

I highly recommend Merino wool for cycling in winter & all but the hottest days in summer, it regulates body temperature, wicks sweat well & does not stink after half an hours riding like some man made fibres do, plus it's old skool, cyclists have been using wool products for decades.

Back