The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

Re: Next up: Decals!

ChuckO":5y7gq1kp said:
I've ordered the NOS decals from ebay. The thermoplastic surface seems fairly slick, and I'd like to avoid having the decals flake off after only a short time. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to get the maximum life out of these decals?

Thanks...

Well, you could make a cut out of some bike shield stuff, basically a thick rubbery plastic with glue on one side. Cut it out so that it follows and overlaps your stickers slightly, and they would stay protected, whilst not looking too off.

I dont know how bike shield is sold nowadays, but when i purchased some, years ago, you got a big sheat, and could cut out your own bits from it. lately ive only seen ready cut sets, like for cable rub spots, and the chainstay.

But this type of protective rubber/plastic/thingy, should also be available at motorbike shops etc.

You can buy some stuff called copter tape on ebay that comes in sheets guys...real tough and hardearing but almost invisible when applied.

Re: Next up: Decals!

Thanks Grimm & MM... will check those out. Sounds like the stuff I used on my skis back in the day...

Re: More fun with Al, part II

OK, after installing my cable guide and contemplating it for a while, it occurred to me that it routed the cable in an somewhat unnatural way, which looked odd when compared with the rear deraillleur cable on the other side of the wheel. So, back to the drill press, hacksaw, and files...

Attachments

• P1020310.jpg
    P1020310.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,138
Nice, maybe abit too thick, but polish that baby up to fit the seatstay finish and it will look less intrusive. Nicely done.

Woo Hoo!!!! :D :D :D

My 'as new' GT STS-2 just came in the post today packed into a box like a puzzle.
Only about 100k on the thing and not even a scratch, like it came out of the shop a week ago.
Has full original spec but I'm replacing the wheels for new Mavics and the judy's for Fournales crosslinks.

Pics up soon...

Back