2011......This will offend retro riders, please do not look!

graham1975":1kn2lo14 said:
hamster":1kn2lo14 said:
Maybe I'm being totally dense but what's the cable running up to the saddle for? (On the one that's some kind of Moto-X lovechild)

MP3 connector?
For administering chalfont preparation after some huge dropoff that needed 180mm of suspension travel?

I wonder what it's like to ride uphill out of the saddle... :LOL:

It would be fine to ride up hill out of the saddle as most forks have a complete lockout on them so it will feel just like a rigid bike and the whole bike will only weigh around 29Lb i would of thought for the steel one and around 26Lb for the alloy one, so it will sprint up the hills i would have thought :LOL:

I've got the Blue Pig with 150mm RS Revelations with lock out. It's no wippet on climbs but does climb really will as they have a 74 deg seatpost which puts your weight more central. When the trail points downward you need to lean forward to weight the fork more and let the back float over stuff. Mine comes in at about 30lbs and keeps up with full sus bike no problem. ;)

Interesting that most of the nay-sayers appear to have never tried a bike with a similar set up....

Sounds just like the days people used to say: ''suspension on the front of a bicycle, thats what your arms are for!''

Followed by: ''full suspension? whats the point of that?''

:)

KeepItSteel":26m88wlf said:
Interesting that most of the nay-sayers appear to have never tried a bike with a similar set up....

Sounds just like the days people used to say: ''suspension on the front of a bicycle, thats what your arms are for!''

Followed by: ''full suspension? whats the point of that?''

:)

Good point, its ok to have a retro bike with a Pace elastamer 20mm travel fork on the front with a head angle of 87 degree and say it doesnt work/you cant go fast/you cant do boulder gardens/ect ect ect, i couldnt agree more iv tryed it and its bloody hard work, i think 100% of people would really like the feel and handleing of a new modern upto date hardtail with a big fork on the front, and a head angle of aroung 67 degree ( fairly slack ) id much rather ride a fantastic bike that does the job even if it is slighty wierd looking.
John who i go ridding alot with has just dug his foundations for his new garage which is over 2ft deep with a vertical edge to it, and he has a Ragley Ti and you can just ride of it, not jump it just ride down it with the front wheel and it just does it with ease no BB catching no launching you over the bars, you just ride off the end and carry on riding, they are amazing, if i was to do that on my Pace it would 1st shread the 3rd chainring and secondly launch me over the bars and into the ground

If anyone doubts the virtues of long travel, watch the vid on this link (2nd one with orange bike):

http://www.ragleybikes.com/our-products/blue-pig-frame/

The forks are working overtime but soaking everything up with ease! As the trail becomes really rocky I know that its beyond the capabilities of my hardtail...

Ive never been keen on the long travel idea, but now im thinking its worth at least looking into.

graham1975":27g5m4pn said:
the whole bike will only weigh around 29Lb

What on earth is it made from? Are the tubes solid or just lead filled :shock:

But wouldn't it be even easier to ride with a suitable suspended rear end to match ?

If you're going to go modern for that sort of thing then why not just go the whole hog ? Cost ?

I know people have been going down Snowdon etc on Rigid and front sus. bikes since BitD. The travel just makes you less tired and well safer. Good when your not so fit.

I know I rode Helvellyn and probably others on my Red/Yellow bike I have with my MAG21's (none Long Travelled format at the time ;) ) and Dad and Bro where riding Rigid. I know we had fun.
Different strokes and well it would be easier now with a new bike.

Still rather pick a nicer looking frame one in my eyes.

graham1975":2sz0emdd said:
hamster":2sz0emdd said:
Maybe I'm being totally dense but what's the cable running up to the saddle for? (On the one that's some kind of Moto-X lovechild)

MP3 connector?
For administering chalfont preparation after some huge dropoff that needed 180mm of suspension travel?

I wonder what it's like to ride uphill out of the saddle... :LOL:

It would be fine to ride up hill out of the saddle as most forks have a complete lockout on them so it will feel just like a rigid bike and the whole bike will only weigh around 29Lb i would of thought for the steel one and around 26Lb for the alloy one, so it will sprint up the hills i would have thought :LOL:

29lbs! :shock: Uphill it still weighs 1.5lbs more than a stock 1990 Marin Palisades (my first MTB). It must be made of scaffolding poles, and able to take one hell of a beating.

I do get the geometry thing - as the fork is part compressed all the time from bumps (it can be soft as it has so much travel) then the head angle is less extreme than it would appear - the vid shows this.

Horses for courses, but not for me as someone who never rides out of his local area due to family etc. I'll stick to my 21lb rigid singlespeed.

i believe in fixies":3kfqbltd said:
graham1975":3kfqbltd said:
the whole bike will only weigh around 29Lb

What on earth is it made from? Are the tubes solid or just lead filled :shock:

come on be fair, most off the peg bikes weight in around 25 to 28lb.
this is made to be nigh on indestructable, and has longer heavier forks.
Not to mention fatter tyres and rims.

hamster":1w0jrdcw said:
Horses for courses, but not for me as someone who never rides out of his local area due to family etc. I'll stick to my 21lb rigid singlespeed.

Youve hit the nail on the head, for guys who like to stick to areas they know well and possibly not push the boundaries very often, a lovely 21lb rigid singlespeed fits the bill perfectly.

But for flying down steep hilly/rocky areas at speed, taking jumps, & keeping comfortable(ish) then this one would excel (judging by the cool video).

The fitness issue is debatable, id probably argue its just darn exciting being able to hit rocky paths/drop offs at that kind of speed comfortably and in more safety...and on equipment built to withstand those kind of knocks.
As for full suspension, sure they would probably do a great job - possibly better on many trails. but personally, I cant be bothered with the constant fettling and set up issues, maintainance, searching for bearings/washers etc.
A pair of forks and discs is enough hassle!

And as for aesthetics - Its certainly not going to win beauty contests, but I tend to be drawn to the slightly more 'unique' designs, I like fugly stuff (should have thought about that before i met the wife).
But then again, stuff built to do a job tends not to be stunning, think 'Land Rover' - not exactly beautiful but sure is purposeful!

Actually the 'Ragley Fugly' has a certain ring to it...

KeepItSteel":kki66zf6 said:
hamster":kki66zf6 said:

Youve hit the nail on the head, for guys who like to stick to areas they know well and possibly not push the boundaries very often, a lovely 21lb rigid singlespeed fits the bill perfectly.

But for flying down steep hilly/rocky areas at speed, taking jumps, & keeping comfortable(ish) then this one would excel (judging by the cool video).

The fitness issue is debatable, id probably argue its just darn exciting being able to hit rocky paths/drop offs at that kind of speed comfortably and in more safety...and on equipment built to withstand those kind of knocks.
As for full suspension, sure they would probably do a great job - possibly better on many trails. but personally, I cant be bothered with the constant fettling and set up issues, maintainance, searching for bearings/washers etc.
A pair of forks and discs is enough hassle!

And as for aesthetics - Its certainly not going to win beauty contests, but I tend to be drawn to the slightly more 'unique' designs, I like fugly stuff (should have thought about that before i met the wife).
But then again, stuff built to do a job tends not to be stunning, think 'Land Rover' - not exactly beautiful but sure is purposeful!

Actually the 'Ragley Fugly' has a certain ring to it...

Completely agree, I got rid of my 5SE full sus for a long travel Rag TI because it bored me sh!tless. Full sussers just constantly pull you out of the crap and you get home feeling you have just "been on a ride".

Regretably £200 halfords specials out perform most retro bikes, and to be honest there is absolutely nothing worse!!!! to ride than a 20Lb Pace RC200.

I would also far rather have a quirky looking frame, that performs, than a standard double triangle ....that performs. Ragley frames are full of little quirks that makes them great to ride and suited to UK conditions

Ragley.... Keep em coming, classics of the future.

Back