2011 Trek Fuel EX9 project

daj":4pxqy2wr said:
Any updates :cool:

Sure.

I think the installed rear hangar on the rear drive side which incorporates part of the dropout is incorrect because where the skewer passes through there are threads. I presume this is for some sort of bolt through axle. Another hangar is in the bag of bits and appears to have the correct part for the special new fangled skewer thing, but I'm afraid to take the one out of the frame because it seems to hold the frame together!

The rear brake hose is way too long.

I've mucked up the front calipers and they will need bleeding.

There are no ties for the hose guides, I need to pick these up.

The stem I won on ebay 5 days ago isn't here yet.

The rear mech I won on ebay 5 days ago isn't here yet.

The rear shock was missing and should be here next week.

The headset is installed but I haven't quite got the crown race fully down to the bottom of the steerer tube.

I don't understand how the new BB remains in place as there are no threads in the BB housing (although I haven't really looked at this in detail yet).

The XT front shifters are here and on the bars, as are the grips.

The front wheel is sat in the forks and the rear wheel is also in the frame, but only just and both are only there so I have an idea what it will look like built up.

The Kona was much easier to build!

Daj if you get the chance, you couldn't take some pics of the rear skewer and the nut assembly could you? I'll try to get some pics of what I have in case you can offer advice.

nick_fuel_ex9_07.jpg

In the picture above I believe the following is correct, but please correct me if I'm incorrect.

I think the hangar/drop-out labelled 1 should be in the frame to use the 'supplied' QR skewer with a standard thread. On the end of the skewer winds part 2 and part 3.

I imagine the drop-out labelled 5 is for single speed.

The two bolts and washers labelled as part 4 are for fixing the rear shock to the top of the swing arm.

The photo below shows the current thread in the nut/hangar/drop-out combo! As you can see it's a wide thread, too wide for a standard skewer.

nick_fuel_ex9_04.jpg

Sorry for quality just ran out in the garage quick before work!! :D

DSC_0468-1.jpg

DSC_0467-1.jpg

DSC_0466-1.jpg

DSC_0469-1.jpg

Hi Daj, thanks for that. Is there any chance you can get a photo of the inside of the dropout/hangar where it passes through the frame? Sorry to be a PITA!

Daj ignore my last request, I think I have it sorted now. Took me ages to bash out the dropout that was installed, whoever stuck it in made a real hash job!

The second hand Bonty stem arrived today. I bought it on eBay for a £11 and it was advertised as second hand, having been taken of a bike because it was too short. I was a little surprised to find it attached to a cardboard display board, the sort that hangs from a shelf, it was obviously brand new. I wonder which wagon it fell off? :cool:

nick_fuel_ex9_08.jpg

Lightweight rear shock anybody?

nick_fuel_ex9_09.jpg

Oh and you may also just be able to spot the very first suspension forks that I owned, they are lurking in the shadows...

Back