1975 Peugeot PR10 - project update. Thavenet Theme

Very nice project. Thoroughly done.

Had you some of the bits anodised in gold or did all come like that?

The gold bits

Well the brake levers were anodised from new.

I had some mafac 2000 centre pull brakes also that were gold but they did not fit the bike properly.

I used the cable hanger/guide from them.

Then I took the original mafac racer centre pulls to bits, primed them, gold smoothrite and baked them in the oven. Another coat and lacquer.

Same for the campag shifters. Got told by an anodiser that they would look rubbish if you tried to anodise.

Then lifted the look with a gold chain.

I have now adjusted the saddle for those guys who it had disturbed.

Hope it was just the rake you were commenting on cos I like the 3TTT saddle.

Toomski

Attachments

• #1 1975 PR 10.JPG
    #1 1975 PR 10.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 5,708
  • Pug side.JPG
    Pug side.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 5,708
Re: The gold bits

toomski":2wv9yjjp said:
Well the brake levers were anodised from new.

I had some mafac 2000 centre pull brakes also that were gold but they did not fit the bike properly.

I used the cable hanger/guide from them.

Then I took the original mafac racer centre pulls to bits, primed them, gold smoothrite and baked them in the oven. Another coat and lacquer.

Same for the campag shifters. Got told by an anodiser that they would look rubbish if you tried to anodise.

Then lifted the look with a gold chain.

Okay, interesting. I had never heard of 'smoothrite'. Really thought it was anodised. Is there possibly a description of the proces with additional examples somewhere on the web?

My neighbour has a PY-10 like pictured above btw. By coincidence I got hands on what I think is a PY-10 cockpit a while ago. Assembled including wrap and cables, but clearly never fitted :roll: Golden Philippe bar and stem. The golden Mafacs with fresh brown hoods. Quite impressive. Unfortunately 22mm stem.

Hammerite - Smoothrite -process

Smoothrite Process -

Nip down the DIY store and you can find it in a can.

I might eventually source the competition gold Mafacs and simplex shifters but they are scarce so for the time being Mr Smoothrite to the rescue
Do not know how long it will last, if it starts looking poop will have to go back to silver components.......

HAMMERITE SMOOTHRITE GOLD 400ML AEROSOL

Hammerite Direct To Rust Metal Paint can be painted directly onto rusty surfaces, and thanks to its special 3 in 1 formula there is no need to use a primer or undercoat - saving you precious time!

Touch dry in an hour, Hammerite gives long-lasting protection and is suitable for use on a wide range of exterior metal including gates, railings, drainpipes, guttering and garden furniture.

- Apply direct to rust
- Protects for up to 5 years
- No primer or undercoat required
- For metal inside and outside the home

Attachments

• gold smoothrite.jpg
    gold smoothrite.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 5,269
Thank you. I am familiar with Hamerrite. Of course I did some googling too and found the tie to Hamerrite. So it is a kind of advanced paint probably. Looks good.

I was already wondering about the golden Campagnolo shifters. Really a nice job. A winner it is! :)

toomski":1nt1fx1g said:
I have now adjusted the saddle for those guys who it had disturbed.

Hope it was just the rake you were commenting on cos I like the 3TTT saddle.

Toomski

Sorry, it just looked painful to ride apart from the OCD aspect. It is a very nice looking bike and like others have said makes me keener on Peugeots than I was in the past.

Mark.

Back