Disk Mount Questions

yes that will bolt straight onto the back
not the front (you will need an adapter and 180 rotor it seems)
easily available though and 180-160 is a much used combo
in theory you shouldnt have to shim it asd the pads will self adjust but ive had to do it on mine, not by much (1mm washers)
so it will be hit or miss, wont need much spacers if it does, they will sit between the frame and caliper

Just buy the post version for the front....

Depending where you're riding.... 140mm might be OK on the rear but 160mm will give you more options. Had horrendous brake fade on a long descent near Frankfurt a couple of years ago using a 140 and replaced it with a 160 which has been fine.

Personally I prefer a 180 front 160 rear combo. But you've bought a Ti. frame. Weight saving may be more of an issue for you.

160/160 is fine for most things, although there's little harm in going bigger at the front. If you're bracket-averse, though, 160 PM front and 160 IS rear is the way forward.

Set aside a decent span of time for putting them together if you get those XTR ones in bits - they're a bit of a pig to bleed.

MikeD":3swm0e4x said:
Set aside a decent span of time for putting them together if you get those XTR ones in bits - they're a bit of a pig to bleed.

Can honestly say there is no point buying M975 XTR brakes. Buy M775 XT instead. You get more adjustment possibilities at the lever. M975 brakes are a nightmare - even when correctly fitted they feel sloppy.

I have XT levers with XTR calipers, but i also run them with Avid G2 rotors and they work alot better than Shimano rotors

i've just finished building my 99 specialized fsr
at the mo i am running 160/160
i did have a 180 on the rear but it just didnt look right on it
i may end up with a 180 front/160rear eventually as on my mountaincycle, this seems to work for me, but so far the 160s are ok

as for disc size, it all depends on the caliper, my mono mini takes a 160 on the back, but my M4 would take it to a 180
the same M4 i had on my kona stinky with a +20 adapter taking a 205mm

post mount sets up very easily, on the front i have a hope mini, on a 160mm rotor, if i want to go bigger there's a +20 adapter or i could go for a is mount caliper with a post to is adapter

i feel i'm rambling a bit but if you need any help, just ask

it seems between us we have it all covered :)

Back