hub spacing

I thought their had always been two options on wheels spacing. Must be a long while back. Before my time

130 was normal for 6 speed until around 1990, when most stuff had become 7.

However, there's a lot of ATB components out there with 130 spacing - Shimano certainly did STX groupsets with 130mm in 1996-97 for hybrids in 7 speed.

As road stuff still uses 130 you can run 9 or even 10 speed. The main problem is that you get a lot of wheel dish so you are more likely to warp wheels or break spokes.

I've found a fair few 130 Shimano hubs turn up - it's easy to swap out the axle and respace them to 135. A stack of washers from B&Q does fine.

The 130mm spaced shimano hubs have the same flange spacing on the 7 speed stuff as the 135mm hubs.

You can indeed swap the axles, or, if you are very brave, reset your stays and be a true retro grouch with a 130mm back end.

Fronts have been 100mm since the mid '70's.

agree with hamster on all points. Only notable additions would be 126mm for road 6 speed. and there are a few oddities like bradbury manitous at 140mm for dishless rear wheels.

As I recall, it was possible to get MTB hubs with 130 axle width right up to the mid 90s, mostly for ATB/Hybrid use albeit.... And up to 7 speed only.

stew-b":2vtjetjz said:
so what hub spacing would a 1991 ish 7speed xt rear hub have? my frame is 130mm
They were available in 130 or 135, but as already stated the hubs are the same, just the axles different but they can be swapped. If you need a 130 axle then I have an XT one with the cones, spacers etc.

Sure your frame will open up 5mm if you want. Just makes getting the wheel in and out a bit harder.

..provided it's steel!

I wouldn't advise cold setting an Alu frame as you are just asking for it to crack.

I've never tried fitting a 135 hub into a 130 Alu frame....but there again I don't own any Alu bike...nasty newfangled things.

Back