highly tech quest.

hesdownagain

Old School Hero
hello. if i had a frame with a head angle of 67 degree's with a fork of 160mm travel. if i changed the fork to one with a 140mm travel what would happen/would i notice it. thanks for any thoughts..

Run your current figures through this geometry calculator then adjust the fork length to your proposed and it will showyou the affect on then stock angles and bb height etc

http://bikegeo.muha.cc/.

Hope this helps

thanks for the chart. trouble is i have no idea what it means.i wanted to know if it would affect the ride. i know people do it the other way and increase the forks to a better travel. thanks.

Well its better to know how much you are going to affect the geometery.

However in simple terms reducing the travel will mean a shorter axel to crown length for the fork. This will make the bike faster steering and more responsive to steering input, but to much will make handling overly twitchy.

I am pretty sure its going to lower your bb height so can cause ground clearance issues and increase the chances of pedal strike and possibly toe overlap issues with the front wheel.

I think for rule of thumb reducing/increasing a2c length by 20 - 25mm will create a 1 degree change in head angle.

ok. thanks for the help.i had no idea about the B/B being affected, something to think about. thanks again.. :LOL:

You'll definitely notice a small difference, but I wouldn't have thought 160-140 would be enough to make a mess of anything, after you factor in a bit of sag :D

68 degrees is still pretty slack! :LOL:

elPedro666":2k7hd15v said:
You'll definitely notice a small difference, but I wouldn't have thought 160-140 would be enough to make a mess of anything, after you factor in a bit of sag :D

68 degrees is still pretty slack! :LOL:
This is what i wanted to hear, that i may not even notice the difference. thanks for the input.. :)

Back