2011......This will offend retro riders, please do not look!

Splatter Paint":18123usx said:
180mm fork on an HARD TAIL? So, erm, why? Seriously, in what terrain / riding conditions do I need to have a front end capable of tackling boulder fields and a rear that is solid?

SP

= MEGA FUN

Splatter Paint":2h1t13mt said:
180mm fork on an HARD TAIL? So, erm, why? Seriously, in what terrain / riding conditions do I need to have a front end capable of tackling boulder fields and a rear that is solid?

SP

wheelies into walls

But if you need 8" of travel for the terrain, surely the back end needs to follow the front? I mean up to 100mm fork takes out some of the buzz, but if you want to keep the wheels in contact with the ground a matching sprung back end is required?

to be fair, the bike is designed with 160mm in mind but as is the want of folks they ask what would happen if I fit xxxmm. So the bike is designed for 160(which is a smidge over 5") but if your stupid enough you can put a 180 on there!

Splatter Paint":14ztaoba said:

SP

The only reason you can get away with a hard tail ploughing across the boulder fields with your 180mm of travel up front is because of the hydraulic seatpost - it obviously pumps a stream of soothing sudocrem from that little pipey bit in to the back of your cycling shorts relieving the inevitable discomfort to your botty. Clever folks the chaps at Ragley, they think of nearly everything.

Splatter Paint":3d5pxn3e said:
But if you need 8" of travel for the terrain, surely the back end needs to follow the front? I mean up to 100mm fork takes out some of the buzz, but if you want to keep the wheels in contact with the ground a matching sprung back end is required?

Thats exactly what i used to think, hardtail totally useless cant do anything on them bla bla bla, but if you was ever to ride a hard hitting hardtail you would see that you dont need rear suspension, i have a mate with an orange 5 and we ride hard on rough footpaths / bridleways and he cant loose me at the bottom, hne now has a Ragley Ti and seriously fell out with it at the start but now he has got used to the total diffrent way of riding hard he wouldnt swap it for anything, its light fast 150mm travel same as my Bluepig and you can do anything on it it has never thrown me off, the rear suspension is your legs on a hardtail

i believe in fixies":1woby18d said:
Splatter Paint":1woby18d said:

SP

The only reason you can get away with a hard tail ploughing across the boulder fields with your 180mm of travel up front is because of the hydraulic seatpost - it obviously pumps a stream of soothing sudocrem from that little pipey bit in to the back of your cycling shorts relieving the inevitable discomfort to your botty. Clever folks the chaps at Ragley, they think of nearly everything.

LOL, ohhh yes you need a comfy saddle, preferbly one of those with big springs in the back, A SOFA i think they are called!!!

Ragleys are pretty new on me, i don't know much about them at all,
but i know one thing about them now...
i like them a lot
great looking bike!
as for looking too modern and like a motoX bike? no, not really!
for that you need a more retro bike like an intense or something like a Mountaincycle san andreas
would love to try one out :)

hamster":oe6roqe7 said:
Maybe I'm being totally dense but what's the cable running up to the saddle for? (On the one that's some kind of Moto-X lovechild)

MP3 connector?
For administering chalfont preparation after some huge dropoff that needed 180mm of suspension travel?

I wonder what it's like to ride uphill out of the saddle... :LOL:

Gravity Dropper style seatpost.

hamster":1n6ju8zp said:
Maybe I'm being totally dense but what's the cable running up to the saddle for? (On the one that's some kind of Moto-X lovechild)

MP3 connector?
For administering chalfont preparation after some huge dropoff that needed 180mm of suspension travel?

I wonder what it's like to ride uphill out of the saddle... :LOL:

It would be fine to ride up hill out of the saddle as most forks have a complete lockout on them so it will feel just like a rigid bike and the whole bike will only weigh around 29Lb i would of thought for the steel one and around 26Lb for the alloy one, so it will sprint up the hills i would have thought :LOL:

Back