New Bike Chat -->1998 on section

I wasn't a fan of the original split for pre & post 1998, it also seems most of the main protagonists of that 'issue' rarely post anymore despite getting what they wanted.

Those still around who are irked by such discussion seem to have a fundamental issue with its occurence, irrespective of where it's posted.

I find the proliferation of sub-forums on the main page to be somewhat cumbersome, but as I almost exclusively view topics returned by the 'view posts since last visit' function, their location is of little relevance.

Tallpaul":3h00iott said:
I wasn't a fan of the original split for pre & post 1998, it also seems most of the main protagonists of that 'issue' rarely post anymore despite getting what they wanted.

Those still around who are irked by such discussion seem to have a fundamental issue with its occurence, irrespective of where it's posted.

I find the proliferation of sub-forums on the main page to be somewhat cumbersome, but as I almost exclusively view topics returned by the 'view posts since last visit' function, their location is of little relevance.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying Paul. I don't let it bother me much but I had no problems with the original layout. I can also see that others may not like it. I too use the same method of viewing posts as you do and only open if the subject interests me. If we keep dividing and subdividing we may end up with an index that requires smaller font and two pages...

I think the Term 'Retro' is different to each person so a split to pre and post 97 (which in itself is an arbitrary date) seems strange.

Splitting down the forum into further niches as such doesn't seem to have much purpose, it just makes it easier to miss something you might be interested in, if you can't be bothered to check each sub-forums sub-forum! especially in regards to the for sale stuff.

What about going the other way, just using three sub forums from the index i.e Bikes / Trading / Other Stuff!

Will go with the flow anyway, just my 2p's worth.

Not too keen, easy enough to skip the modern that appears in the for sale section.
Looks like we will need a "The one and only "WHAT YEAR IS MY xyz" thread?

Not too sure I have an opinion until I get used to using it some more, but my initial impression is that I'm not a fan of the combined for sale and wanted section in >1998 section.

Obviously posting in post 1998 will be lower so can see why comibined them, but I find wanted ads only serve their purpose usually when they are easy to read and access, something which wont happen when combined as they get lost quicker down the updated postings list.

I can see how it has become necessary in recent months, and I quite like it. There is a danger though that in the future there will be so many subgroups that it becomes too confusing.

It is definately good that there is now a seperate forum for general cycling chat away from "off topic", not sure it neccesarily needs a year attached though.

I'm sure the split in forsale will be good right up until I missed the urgently needed component that was posted in the wrong section :)

being a man and therefore slightly autistic i do not like change, It also seemed to work well before so why change,
i agree also with who ever said retro is subjective, and i quite like the 10 year rule or definition of retro,its ever changing and ensures a constant influx of younger people perhaps, who for them had their mtb hayday in 1998-2000 there are quite a few young uns on here already ( josh for one (cyfa) who for them 1998 is retro enough already, could also lead to the eventual demise of retrobike itself if only pre 1998 is considered retro we all have different takes on bike building too, we are not all just looking for original spec, or period correct, for me Retrobike is also about seeing evolution of components including disc, early use of carbon, full suspension, and preserving those bikes which perhaps didnt quite make the grade. also jump bikes ,trial perhaps and how they have changed evolved. the for sale section was also about a bit of banter, i think this will be lost somehwat now the for sale section has been diluted , i have also bought and sold old and new bits, and learned most about rare and unusual parts and bikes through the for sale add wanted section
My interest also is from late 80's to present day, and now have bikes spanning this time period mainly thanks to retrobike, there was also a period of time when bikes were not my main focus, and so i missed out on what was happening from 2000 ish to 2006 ish,

anyways i ramble and have lost my thread, no offence meant by any of the above by the way ,it really is that i do not like change

anyways, does seem to me if it aint broke ;) ;) :oops: :cool: :LOL:

Ahem, John can I come back in now? :oops: In my earlier thread (now locked) I was surprised nobody else was browsing, however I was not aware how recently the change had happend.

I think it is a good idea, because whilst I love U-brakes, flex stems and such, my 'daily ride' is an early noughties Kona. Now I thought this was a modern bike, but at a race the other day, put up against current bikes I realised I was riding something out of date! That was a bit scary to tell the truth, I think that modern 'modern' biking has passed me by! I heard they do 10 speed cassettes now, yikes!

I think my main genre is 98-05, so I'll be posting here more often. To tell the truth, due to shoulder issues, I've not actually ridden retro for 8 months..... :oops:

SP

Back