Proudest moment

Ok, as I started this I had better put something up:

Bike related would be the following events over consecutive weekends in 2005 - Man v Horse (crosscountry run, 1st Mixed Team and 8th overall), Gran Fondo Campagnolo (in the Dolomites in Italy), Mountain Mayhem (rigid, solo, singlespeed).

Tennis - played against the Pakistan Davis Cup captain in the Pakistan Claycourt Championships, beat the UK Civil Service champion in 2001, practiced with national squad players in Cameroon and the Philippines, qualified to play in the British Veterans Grasscourt Championships this year at Wimbledon (lost in singles and doubles to eventual semi finalists).

Other sports involve lots of minor personal triumphs that mean little to anyone but did play football against the Pakistan national side in the national stadium (their last warm up game before World Cup qualifiers - we lost 4-0).

(And just for Tony and following on from the tennis theme, check out Daniela Hantuchova).

My personnal best would have to be the letter from the patents office say that patent had be granted, not bike related i know but a happy day for me :D

Being invited to ride Amasa Back (in Moab) with Joe Breeze, Scott Nicol, Otis Guy, Tom Ritchey, and (the then) owner of Yeti whose name I forget, in '93. I had bumped into them on Slickrock the day before, and was riding along the road when I heard a shout of "Hey, Grahame. Do you have a spoke wrench with you?" Tom was wanting to true his back wheel in the car park of Kaibab cycles (now Moab Cyclery). I did, so I stopped, then they asked what I was doing, and did I want to go on a ride, then for a beer?

I rode out of town with them (along Cane Creek Road) thinking "I'm riding in a peloton with some of my MTB heroes", then we had huge fun messing about on the climb up the trail - racing some bits, "sessioning" some of the more technical stuff, etc.

Or, getting the group down safely after a ride in Colorado was threatened by some severe thunder storms last year - I made the decision that the ride should be cut short 'cos the storms looked like they were going to hit the ridge we were due to ride along, so we should take the bail out route into the valley. The gusts I was guiding weren't too happy until we looked back up to the ridge after the descent to see 3 lightning strikes in rapid succession where we would have been if we had continued.

Ed , I love tennis . I havent played in ages though .
My racquets are retro too , a very old Head and a F285 Rossignol . :LOL:

My racquets are retro too , a very old Head and a F285 Rossignol .

Me too, I play with a Dunlop Max 3001, circa 88/89 I think.. Wife has a way cool old Prince one too..

Hilts":2ijyqho0 said:
My racquets are retro too , a very old Head and a F285 Rossignol .

Me too, I play with a Dunlop Max 3001, circa 88/89 I think.. Wife has a way cool old Prince one too..

my mum still plays with a Dunlop Chris Evert-Lloyd Special. It's made of wood :shock:

(I'm not joking)

my dad is a very good player , he is the area over 55 champion .

when I was younger he always had 2 of the same racquets and I used to keep one of them when he was changing .

I was playing on the municipal courts near my Father in laws place in france where the local tennis pro was coaching some kids on another court. he came up to me and said in the best clousou English..

'you have a nice serve but the rest of your game, it is sheeet'

I laughed so hard he thought i hadn't understood him properly.

Excellent, half a page of tennis - I thought that I was risking ridicule but threw caution to the wind ('TENNIS? Even uncooler than golf').

Back