English cycles 'Special' - Jeremy Torr

Wow, how did I miss this thread :shock:

Has to be one of the coolest machines I have ever seen, Love the green (reminds me of the green spangle sweets ... showing my age now :() , I love everything about it, the angles are amazing , and I bet that that wheel base will make it a real character to ride, I thought my Saracens were short but this is awsome :cool:

Do you know what it is yet ? It has to be a pretty important bike

Well, with the help of biglev and the hugely knowledgeable danson67, it shares a Hayden bb shell with Dan's Overburys and the braising is good but not up to the same standards of others.

The seat tube is of high quality Reynolds with its 27.2mm post size and the join 'is a work of art'.

biglev has pointed me towards Tom Bromwich cycles.

Its a little untidy for a professional build but a little too good for a home build - so, who knows?

I'm taking it out tomorrow for a trundle somewhere (no car so it will be local) hopefully the seat will have dried out by then too.

legrandefromage":a6d96s66 said:
Its a little untidy for a professional build but a little too good for a home build - so, who knows?

Thats something i had not thought of. May be it is a bar-stuard son of dave yates. from one of his classes. A supervised build of some such. he used to do week long classes in the 1980's for £1000 you built you own bike in a week. may that why the finished to the brazing is not 100%.

I spoke to mey mate dave about the Bromwich. He says they did have slack seat angle and campag cable routing like that. he says it would be very light and not have great tyre clearance on the rear or forks. So i geuss that stops the Bromwick idea as the forks have massive clearance. So i have to admit i am stumped. Lovely bike high probability of a one off there.

awesome bike very envyous. cant wait to see what you will do with it.

cheers - not sure myself as to what to do yet - its the paint thats bugging me, I dont know wether to get it powdercoated/painted or not - its not dented but very beat up.

I'd go for getting it repainted as you're not losing any rare original stickers indicating the maker etc. You could spend some time finishing off the fillets before getting it painted that way too.

with its short wheelbase, I wander if its influenced by the Highpath?

highpath_first_outing_4_103.jpg

short_wheelbase_136.jpg

legrandefromage":3dvfljlw said:
with its short wheelbase, I wander if its influenced by the Highpath?

I would vote no but then I am speaking form a position of ignorance. The riding position is radicaly different to share similar design cues, possibly more "beefed up road bike" influenced? The forks remind me of something, I want to say Bates, can't quite put my finger on it.

I was thinking of 1980's road builders who may have built a few mtbs. ones that were logless, fillet brazed with light finishing to the welds and metallic paint. I only came up with one Phill Sherwood. He was mad on proper metalic paint with mica in and did not finish his fillets like roberts/yates etc. I think he onyl build less than 10 mtbs.

Have a look at this road frame from 1988:

p4pb5838315.jpg

A possibility?

Back