My 'new' GT RTS2 - Major Update 09/08/08

richwoodham

Devout Dirtbag
Fell for this yesterday, and have overnight become a retro addict. Ticks all my 'mid-90s-dream-bike' boxes:

Frame - GT RTS2
Forks - Rock Shox Mag 21
Headset - Tioga Alchemy
Stem - GT
Bar - Pace RC Sub130
Barends - X-Lite
Rims - Mavic M231
Tyres - Ritchey Megabite Z Max
Seatpost - USE
Thumbshifters - Deore XT
Brake levers - DiaCompe SS7
Cranks - Cook Bros Racing
Chainset - Pace 24/36/48
Everything else - Deore LX

Saddle to be swapped for eBay Flite Titanium.

The lettering on the Cook Bros cranks is done in a way I've not seen in the other CB pics on this site. No doubt that's because they're common as muck... I've tried to include a pic in case any Cook Bros experts stumble across it and want to confirm the fact.

Will be digging out my Arnet sunglasses and Mint Sauce stickers in time for a test ride this weekend.

Rich

Attachments

• RTS_cranks.jpg
    RTS_cranks.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,078
  • GT_RTS_2_lowres.jpg
    GT_RTS_2_lowres.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,078
hiya

cracking bike, see your in cambridge dude, pop by mikes bikes on a sunday if your about be nice to see it,

doug

First generation of RTS 2 , when there was just the 1 and 2 .
came with Quadra forks and LX groupset .

:cool: actually does look nice in that colour, used to seeing the polished alloy versions all the time.

nice

I'd say thanks for the retro-love but any credit should go to Penny, who sold her husband's old bike to me.

Yep, judging by the colour of the frame I'm thinking 1993.

Doug - I'm not far from Mike's Bikes and will pop by sometime.

Very nice :D
Like the cranks, never seen any like that tho :?
Nice to note that your an old Minty fan! :LOL:

Update

Have been working on this for far too long, but it's finally finished. The 16" frame was a mite too small for me, so found a 1995/1996 (not really sure to be honest) 18" frame to replace it (thanks Drapoon!). Swapping everything over has taken a little longer than anticipated (especially the Royce bottom bracket - damaged beyond repair trying to get it out, and has now been replaced by a bog-standard Shimano one).

Surprisingly effective rear brake bodge as suggested by cchris2lou. If anyone has the proper part then please let me know.

Look forward to hearing your comments, unless they're about my weedy patio. Or the bit of masking tape on the frame that I only noticed after I'd taken the photos...

Attachments

• RTS.jpg
    RTS.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 2,101
  • RTS_side.jpg
    RTS_side.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2,101
  • Cranks_2.jpg
    Cranks_2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,101
  • Rear_brake_1.jpg
    Rear_brake_1.jpg