Proudest moment

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
There's a lot of very classy and high achieving people around here but what is your proudest sporting moment?

It could be
- bagging that crucial and elusive part/bike
- a memorable ride
- a great race result
- a non cycling related sporting achievement that you only tell people about when you've had a few
- or just the chance for a little boast!

So what is the achievement you will tell your granchildren about - be immodest and get it out there!

Coming 3rd in a race. Got pushed off at the start. If only i Hadn't then may be a win :shock: :cool:

ededwards":3dwvbg9b said:
- a non cycling related sporting achievement that you only tell people about when you've had a few

Member of the National Dragon Boat Racing Championship winning team

Won an offroad quadrathlon - swim 400m, cycle 20km, canoe 1.5k, run 5km!

(should have saved these for Saturday night in the bar)

Buying my GT LTS from my saved money.
And talking to Bart Brentjens at Houffalized and a special moment, see him win gold at the first olympics.

Taking part in the IAU National Student Games at javelin and not coming last!

And in the run up to it having personal coaching by Steve Backley (we won a day with him through our University Athletics Club [named The Earwigs BTW - nobody knows why])

Oh and coming 3rd in the South West Schools high jump aged 13!! I also had the school's junior high jump record.

Not exactly a stunning palmares! :oops:

collegiate racing....

going into the final corner in a very wet princeton criterium (yes, that princeton) some 15 years ago, i had the good sense to be just off the front (maybe 10th?). one of the first few went down, sliding on a manhole cover (wet iron = ice) and taking out pretty much the entire lead group. bad. more than one rider suffered broken bones (ribs, as i recall).

i coasted across, upright and in 3rd place.

Buying my first real mountain bike, a 1995 Kona Kilauea. I was still in school at the time and had saved the cash for it from my £20 a week wages for absolutely ages. Had been looking at numerous different bikes and finally settled on a Team Marin. Travelled to Alpine bikes in Glasgow (140 miles away at the time) and saw the Kilauea. I just loved the shape off it and had to have it. First ride on it when i got home saw me being flung over the handlebars right in front of a gang of my mates. So i guess my proudest moment was followed almost directly by one of my not so proud moments. Maybe not a trully sporting moment but certainly the first time i had sacrificed a lot to get something that i really wanted. Since then totally hooked :D

Scottish Cycling Union Mountain Bike XC Championships at Gleniffer Braes near Paisley in 1995.

The Sport and Pro-Elite classes where set off at the same time to do the same number of laps. I won the Sport class and was 5th in the Pro-Elite :D

The only race I ever won :oops:

Winning first prize in the Cub Scouts National Photo Competition - picture taken looking up Snake Pass in the Peak District, taken using a Kodak Instamatic camera. Probably around 1974.

And ...

Getting a story published in the Dandy, got a 50p postal order as a reward!

Most proud moment ...

My 5 year old autistic son being 'Star of the week' at his school for his achievements in maths.

winning sports class grundig world cup plymouth 1998, 5th sports class national champs builth wells 1998 (was 2nd till some flid crashed into me & totalled my f.mech :evil: )
winning welsh champs 98... yet minutes later having the title taken off me as my license had expired & given to the bloke who was 8mins behind me! :LOL: looking back I'm not sure the time spent training/ recovering was worth the effort? I'd prefer to spend the money on a foreign mtb hols & suffer at alltitude instead :LOL:

greatest sence of achievement in any ride/race is my mental killer loop ride. cwmcarn to penyfan & back over the mountains. 85miles, 17000ft climbing, (according to my mates GPS thing). did it in 7hrs last yr & felt wasted for like a week!

these days I'd prefer to "clear" a mega technical trail or drop (like sundays vert to overhang! to vert drop)

I've never had a sence of pride from actual bike ownership? mainly as I buy bikes for me & not for others appreciation :? I mean I like my bikes, but wouldnt say I'm actually proud of them.

Back