Favourite Racers. Where are they now?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Racers from back in the day. Where do they go when they stop racing? On road, off road and track. With all the knowledge on this forum I thought we could fill in some gaps...

I'll kick things off with a couple random names. Feel free to supply answers or other names from the past...

1. Tim Gould. Got a huge cheer at the Plymouth World Cup round in his comeback race.
2. Maurizio Fondriest. Class on wheels.
3. Greg LeMond. Apart from setting metal detecting machines in airports the world over off. Did more than most to bring pro cycling kicking and screaming into the big time. Probably should (would) have won a couple more tours.
4. Laurent Fignon. Simply a dude!

What you got?

Tim Gould is a postie .

Fignon is organizing paris nice and is also a tv pundit for the tdf .

Wasn't part of the Ned Flanders (Floyd Landis) TdF case relating to someone making Lemond their b!tch?

PS 1) I loved Lemond as a rider, particularly his vulnerability; 2) I do get tired by his holier than thou attitude; 3) Definitely not trying to belittle what happened to him, just a poor attempt at humour

ededwards":3sp61p1e said:
Wasn't part of the Ned Flanders (Floyd Landis) TdF case relating to someone making Lemond their b!tch?
He was a fantastic rider. Am I the only one who thinks he sounds like Kermit the Frog? In fact come to think of it you never see those two dudes together...

PS 1) I loved Lemond as a rider, particularly his vulnerability; 2) I do get tired by his holier than thou attitude; 3) Definitely not trying to belittle what happened to him, just a poor attempt at humour

David Baker - used to? / still runs? a cafe at Hope in the Peaks

Whatever happened to Paul 'Yo Hint!' Hinton?

:LOL: RE: Greg LeMond/Kermit T Frog :LOL:

I have always thought that too!

Greg is a great cyclist.

Every great cyclist has a side to their carachter that is less than their acheivments, the way LeMond retired from the (1993?) tour when he was riding for Gan is a good example.

Point is, let their riding stand for what they acheived at the time against their peers. You can never say who is the greatest, putting Fabien Cancellara on a 1964 road bike and setting him off against the clock won't tell you a thing.

$0.02 ;)

Wow, someone else noticing the Lemond/Frog interface! I thought I was the only one.

A couple of more for you:

1. Paul Hinton. Kiwi chap who was in the same race as me a couple of times. I won't say I raced with him as that would be some distance wide of the truth!

2. Claudio Chiappucci. I still remember that classic lone break to Sestriere. Probably I fear, a name slightly tainted?

3. Tony Rominger. One of the good guys? Who could forget his epic TT duels with the Big Mig?

Latest posts

Back