Single Speed Project - Old track frame

Opinions - Should I go for anodized blue, anodized gold or carbon fibre components ?

I plan to have the bars, stem, seatpost, chainset etc.. all matching in colour and brand where possible.

The frame will be gloss white with grey/blue decals.

It's pedantry I know, but I get a bit vexed when I see people distinguish between fixed wheel and single speed.

I used to have a three speed fixed wheel, until the ASC grenaded in a big way but most fixed wheel bikes are single speed. So single speed could refer to fixed wheel or freewheel and fixed wheel doesn't have to mean a fixed ratio.

The point I'm trying to make is that when people say "why not go for fixed wheel instead of single speed" they're not making much sense.

What makes it even worse is when people say "fixed gear". Which is even more vague.

Bah humbug, etc. ;)

GarethPJ":3swwiud0 said:
It's pedantry I know, but I get a bit vexed when I see people distinguish between fixed wheel and single speed.

I used to have a three speed fixed wheel, until the ASC grenaded in a big way but most fixed wheel bikes are single speed. So single speed could refer to fixed wheel or freewheel and fixed wheel doesn't have to mean a fixed ratio.

The point I'm trying to make is that when people say "why not go for fixed wheel instead of single speed" they're not making much sense.

What makes it even worse is when people say "fixed gear". Which is even more vague.

Bah humbug, etc. ;)

I can kind of see your frustrations although I'm not sure why I would let it wind me up. :D

I'm planning a single speed build i.e. one gear ratio with freewheel. You could argue that a fixed wheel is still single speed as you only have one sprocket and one chain ring.

Luke.

pedalcentre":3i0p8yvt said:
Pointer":3i0p8yvt said:
is that an Owen Blower frame?

Yes. My brother is a good friend of him and he was supported by him during his junior/early senior years.

I have an Owen Blower frame that has been repainted in the Raleigh Panasonic colours, I bought it to rebuild but other projects have got in the way. Its a lovely frame, very light and a shame that it has been repainted (seems like this was done a long time ago).
I assume he is no longer building? good luck with your build.

Quick update on the progress - 03/11/10

The frame is still at the powder coaters due to them having problems with grease in the BB shell contaminating the white powder coat during application. Apparently they have stripped and applied powder coat twice but weren't happy with the finish, so they've stripped it again.

Whilst I've been waiting I have spent some time making my own Reynolds 531 decal that will be printed up along with my own frame decal designs by a digital print company I know.

I've also sourced a 1" steerer extension from one of my suppliers so that I can make use of a set of straight blade carbon forks from a Giant TCR. The steerer was to short for the frame so I purchased an extender but had to have it turned down by an engineer in order to fit the internal diameter of the carbon steerer.

My own Reynolds decal (below) It's not a perfect replica but I'm happy with it and it will cost me a fraction of buying the ones that appear on eBay (not to scale obviously)

ReynoldsCustom2.png

Luke.

Right, I've just got my frame back from being powder coated and I'm very pleased with it. I'll upload some pictures very soon.

Further progress has been made with sourcing components. I've picked up the following;

FSA OS-150 Stem - Black
FSA 180 Flat Bars - White
FSA Seatpost - Black
FSA Carbon Chainset - Carbon with blue flash.
Campagnolo Mirage Calipers - Black

I should be dropping the carbon forks off tomorrow (Sat 13/11) to be sprayed up to match the frame and I've just fitted an immaculate 105 headset I had laying around.

I've designed my own decals for the whole bike in a retro style but with my new business branding 'Pedal Centre'. I've passed these on to a printers who'll be making them up for me.

Next on the list is sorting out the wheels. I've got a set of road wheels with Mavic CXP12 rims and Ultegra hubs. The only problem is that the frame is 120mm spacing and the Ultegra hub is 130mm. I might be able to re-space it and re-dish the wheels but it'll be close.

The build owes me £132 and counting. The weight count is currently 4.2KG (9.2lbs) excluding saddle, wheels, BB, pedals, chain, grips...

Pictures to follow soon. That's all for now.

Luke.

Update - 08/12/10

Bottom bracket arrived yesterday and I've ordered a brake lever that should work with the side-pull road caliper.

I've had an email from the printers saying that my custom decals will be printed up today and should be in the post within a couple of days.

Pics to follow.

Luke.

Update - 13/12/2010 (Sorry for picture quality. They were taken with an iPhone)

I purchased a Xposure brake lever which is a bmx two-finger lever that will work with side-pull and u-brakes.

2010-2.jpg

My new custom decals arrived. They have a clear protective sheet over them in these pictures. The actual decals are cut vinyl with high-gloss finish.

2010.jpg

2010-1.jpg

Final purchase is this Charge Spoon saddle with Titanium rails.

2010-3.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one done - I like the mix of modern components with a retro frame, should look really smart

Back