8 speed versus 9 speed in mud - discuss

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
After a truly disappointing experience with 9 speed in mud today, I'm toying with the idea of swapping the cassette, shifters, chain and rear mech to 8 speed. I think from previous winter mud plugging the 8 speed copes a little better.

What about you folks? Same story with the narrow chains and 9 speed?

I've just shelled out a small fortune on new XT chainrings and a 9 speed XTR chain though.... :roll: pillock. However I have all the 8 speed XT parts apart from the chain in my spares box. :D

SP

I find the difference so small it is nothing to worry about. 9 speed stuff is cheaper to replace than retro 8 speed kit.

REKIBorter":3nv8rmos said:
I find the difference so small it is nothing to worry about. 9 speed stuff is cheaper to replace than retro 8 speed kit.

I agree. Leafs are a bigger problem when they get in-between the sprockets :x

Can't say I notice a difference between 9spd and others when it comes to winter use.

What problems you having SP?

i agree totally. I have just got back from a no so muddy ride with no end of problems with the shifting! I started with 21 gears and by the end i had a snapped front mech and only 3 cogs able to engage on the back, i was getting over taken by the single speed boys!!!!

Me and the owner of the bike shop both agree that 9 speed is pretty troublesome in the mud and the introduction of 10spd is crazy. we both agree that you are best off with a single ring up front and 7 speed out back, with a nice fat chain.

The cost of replacement parts is a lot easier on the wallet as well,

9 speed cassette = £50-80...............7 speed £15
9 speed chain £24 ish.....................cheap 7 spd chain £4.99 on tinternet.

do the Maths!

Plus if you are using cheap parts, you can just run them into the ground rather than replacing chains every 3 months!!!!

try 6spd... :LOL:

the narrower the sprockets, the worse it gets especially if your local mud is clay based and sticky.

Theres no real solution.

bojangle":ci62l5xz said:
9 speed cassette = £50-80...............7 speed £15
9 speed chain £24 ish.....................cheap 7 spd chain £4.99 on tinternet.

do the Maths!

err 9-speed can also be bought cheap. why do you need to buy expensive 9-speed when you don't mind cheap 7-speed ? :?

Back