1959 Rotrax - Fork Steerer Column / Stack Height Worry!!!

Thanks! Just eyeing that one up. But in work so can't measure. Guess I shouldn't even be looking online!!!

It'll be good if it is low enough because then I can get the frame refinished and know that at least something will fit, then try to find something period.

Although I'm thinking that might be impossible? Would there have been 1950s headsets with really low stack heights, what I've looked at look quite sizeable! Although the early Campagnolo Gran Sport ones are 33.3mm going by Velobase. I'm thinking maybe the steerer has been cut at some point for something modern. Being patient in work, waiting to go home and measure is annoying!

Home now, and measured with a compass as I don't have tools to take out the whole headset myself. Looks like I can actually maybe get 33mm, maybe a little more after re-facing. Really quite surprised, seems like lower part of the headset that's in there - I measured bottom of crown to bottom of headtube - is pretty large which is making the fork come out short up top (and which made me worry!).

- So any ideas of a period headset that I could hunt for that might fit?

Velobase has the '50s Gran Sport at 33.8, it would be perfect but bet it'd cost even more than a new steerer would have!!!

- and can you use something a little taller and get away with it?

Thanks for all the help, really is much appreciated, just wish I had the knowledge to be able to reciprocate more often. Maybe with time...!

Latest posts

Back