lightweight disc rotors

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
there seem to be a plethora of lightweight brake disc rotors that have more air then metal in the braking surface. :shock:

I know it is most unretro but is anyone using this type of rotor and how does it compare to the more solid type, like Shimano?

an example of lightweight rotor
!BmjYRog!mk~$(KGrHgoOKi!EjlLmFs2+BLgBbJ86JQ~~_12.JPG

and shimano rotor for comparison.
!B14sU5!!2k~$(KGrHqYOKkQE)NfGgEG2BMgRqk(enw~~_12.JPG

I have used these:

16364.jpg

xtr2007_160rotor_hi.jpg

magura%20sl%20rotor.jpg

and have found very little difference between them. The fancier designs do seem to "pulse" a little bit more than the more straight forward designs but thats not really a problem.

Any help?

BTW this should be in Off Topic ;)

The 1st disc is really a bit extreme, no? I would imagine it would be pretty crap, having no real braking surface, and having no volume to act as a heat sink, fade is likely to be horrible.
Might as well use cantis...

mountainloz":1n5cccx5 said:
i use the hope floating rotors, they are really good

don't say thing like that ... I had opportunity to buy a pair for £ 40 .... :evil:

I've used the Ashima Air rotors recently and tbh found them no better or worse than the Avid rotors which they replaced.
If you need new rotors or want to shed a few grams then they may be worth a look.

suburbanreuben":d8us5l38 said:
The 1st disc is really a bit extreme, no? I would imagine it would be pretty crap, having no real braking surface, and having no volume to act as a heat sink, fade is likely to be horrible.
Might as well use cantis...

+1

The more holes for 'heat dissapation' doesn't necessarily work...you actually need surface as it's the friction that makes brakes work!

Why not try paper plates? You could cut out any shape you liked. They would be cheap and light, not good in the wet though!! ;)

Personally I would rather save weight on a less critical component.

al. :D

been using the ashima airotors for racing on the bootleg instead of the shimano xtr great weight save over shimano and i cant feel any lack or loss of power at all but im racing xc with 160mm rotors not DHing with 200mm so cant say for them guys ;)

Latest posts

Back