98 Spesh FSR Ground Control - project build

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
this isn't an original restoration, partly because im so poor, but also i have come across a lot of free components due to a friends bike being involved in a minor accident :) lets call it fate.
right, so this arrived the other week:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113938&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

yesterday i spent a couple of hours putting the on the bare essentials:

Image0158.jpg

transferred over from my (bent)Fuji frame:

Image0162.jpg

Image0159.jpg

Image0160.jpg

Image0161.jpg

forks: Manitou Splice comp (130mm)
Fox Triad - from a specialized apparently - Came with my Fuji
Bottom Bracket - Shimano 118mm
cranks - Shimano hollow tech - may not be keeping these as i've yet to get more stuff from my mates write off :)
headset - Token 1 1/8" threadless

next on are the handle bars, shifters, brakes i'm thinking disc up front, magura out back.

i didn't bend it myself, it was something i noticed about a month after i bought it (second hand) :( the seat stays are off centre - bent off to the left by about 3-4mm.
Odd thing is that the chain stays are fine. but it means the shock isn't aligned properly. not sure what damage this could do, i've just had the Fox shock serviced as is it was knackered so didnt want to take the chance and use it on that frame again.
i also found out it was missing a grey link (which i managed to track down and buy off some ex display in Germany)
the frames pretty heavy too, but seems quite solid. its a shame really.might put the old shock from the FSR frame on it to see what happens and build that bike back again with the missing linkage. i've think i've got enough spares to make another bike back up now! or i may just sell it all off in bits.
not really sure.

what othe rparts do ou have to go on?
i reckon you should get some red rotors :cool:
are you looking into getting a disc on the rear?

cyfa2809":zsrtlv8x said:
are you looking into getting a disc on the rear?

this is a possibilty, but, the adapters are scarce. theres one on ebay, but not sure if i have the financial clout to win the bidding!!
im happy enough with Magura HS33. i have some already. so i'm not bothered really. the disc up front is a tektro auriga comp, i think its pretty shite TBH. will hope to upgrade to magura julie one day. i like these :)

as for the red rotors, not sure i wanna bling this one up too much! Brighton has a knack for making my bikes disappear!!! so far i've specc'd this one out for almost nothing (bar the cost of the frame). trying to refrain from going mad with the upgrades!

UPDATE - yesterday lunch time:

Image0165.jpg

+ wheel rims: Front off a Carrera (WPP?) heavy - came off the Fuji. Not sure of the Rear one, but has Shimano Deore Hub.
+ Tyres (Tioga) need to swap tyre on rear
+ Rear mech (deore LX) - swapping rear cassette to match existing chain set.
+ wide handle bars (Ritchey + Ritchey Stem) with Deore LX shifters (damaged shells but still working - is there anywhere/anyone who has a duff set for spares???)

need a front derailleur (35.0mm)

clockworkgazz":jpax8hds said:
Pulling up a chair.

turns out i need a top pull front mech :( should have looked closer at the frame instead of relying on Bikepedia! tsk tsk

my fox shock is having teething trouble since being Mojo'd, so have sent this back and replaced with original shock from frame for now.
just got to hook up the chain set and gears and i may be able to give it a whirl round the car park!

i do need some proper bushes to help secure the shock in place though.....

photos probably coming this lunch time... :) EDIT: Its bloody baltic outside. cant work on bike :(

twain":1ij8q5nm said:
clockworkgazz":1ij8q5nm said:
Pulling up a chair.

turns out i need a top pull front mech :( should have looked closer at the frame instead of relying on Bikepedia! tsk tsk

my fox shock is having teething trouble since being Mojo'd, so have sent this back and replaced with original shock from frame for now.
just got to hook up the chain set and gears and i may be able to give it a whirl round the car park!

i do need some proper bushes to help secure the shock in place though.....

photos probably coming this lunch time... :) EDIT: Its bloody baltic outside. cant work on bike :(

so has there been any progress on this little beaut ?

Latest posts

Back