identfying ti bolts

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
i have 2 pairs of hanebrink forks the manaul states full titainium hardware through out

so how do i tell if the bolts are ti i ll probably sell the bolts but want to confirm they are indeed titainium first

They will be very light. If you can get magnet then it wont stick to them

Ally bolts are light though to and also non magnetic :-(

I have found that as a 'rule of thumb' second hand ally bolts normally have some damage to the head (if used for anything more than low torque stuff - bottle cages etc) as they are quite soft (compared to Ti), Ti ones are normally OK.

Older Ti bolts quite often have thin rolls of swarf wedged in the bottom of the hex hole, newer Ti bolts don't seem to have the same problem - maybe better (and cheaper :LOL:) production methods ?

The swarf can be broken / picked out, it will be quite hard and sharp.

The machining marks on Ti bolts are normally a bit more pronounced than steel or ally bolts.

WD :D

Oddly by putting them in your hand and looking at them you can tell.

Ti has a slightly different look to it, be it darker grey or the shiny version and it feels neither heavy nor light. (it sits in between Alu and Ti). But maybe that just because I'm used to them. Picked up 4 lovely ones out of a box at a bike jumble for next to nowt :D

If you cannot decide, stick them on a digital balance an weight them and post a picture up.

they taste different

honest

all metals have a differing taste ,clean it first tho

will put some pic up at weekend

around the head of the bolts there what i can only describe as little lines from machineing

Its very easy to identify titanium - just hit the bolt with an angle grinder. If the sparks are white its titanium, orange or yellow sparks indicate steel and no sparks is aluminium.

Simples :D

Latest posts

Back