Disk Mount Questions

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The bike will be built with V’s but could someone confirm what type of mounts these are and what disk sizes they would take as standard ?

Frame :

DSC05410.jpg

Fork :

DSC05608.jpg

The forks are new but as some details were incorrectly advertised I would like to be sure … :?

Are any dimensions needed off each to confirm ?

Cheers,

WD :D

frame looks to be i.s (international standard) mount

forks are post mount which is 74mm spacing i believe. most post mount brakes are 74mm ;)

edit: chances are it will be 160mm discs as standard, after that you get your larger mounts etc.
i know my marz forks (post mount), the caliper went straight onto them and then fitted a 160mm disc
will be the same for the frame unless both your brakes are post mount in which case you will need a pm to is adapter (or vice versa for forks, altough most brakes are now post mount)

Anyway to confirm the rear is defo an IS mount - hole centers etc ?

Should I be looking for mounting hardware to put away for future use or is it all pretty standard / easily sourced ?

Sorry for the thicko questions - I am new to disks (and boingy forks) :oops:

Depends what brakes you buy - it would make your life a lot easier if you buy post mount fitting brakes.

Sorry for the delay :oops:

Yes, the rear spacing is 51mm :D

Does that mean if I got a IS mount caliper it would bolt straight on ? If so - what size disk is standard for IS ? Or does the spec of the caliper tell you i.e. 160mm and then if I wanted to up size by 20mm, I just get a +20mm spacer ?

Sorry for all the questions, I could really do with an 'idiots guide' ... :oops: :LOL:

Really need to know what brakes you are wanting to fit before can give you a full answer.

What size rotor do you want to run and which brakes are you looking at?

You can buy IS calipers but it's more time-consuming to fit them as you have to fiddle with spacers to center them on the rotor. Most brakes these days are supplied as Post mount fitted onto an IS adapter as standard option.

i think hope tell you the size but if its caliper direct to fork/frame mount without an adapter it should be 160 :cool:

Unless you buy an IS caliper that will run 160 on the front - and fit it on the back - in which case you'd need a 140 rotor.

This goes for both Hope AND Shimano.

But as CYFA says - MOST rear brakes without adapters would be 160 or so.

OK, I think the penny is dropping - at least for the rear :LOL:

No plans to fit disks yet, just want to know my options and keep my eye out for cheap bits :D

So if I choose one of these :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45525

They would bolt straight on and depending on which one I got, would fit a 140 or 160 rotor with no additional bracket ?

What's a good size rear for xc use ?

I like the idea of mounting them with no extra bracket, seems much neater - I spent ages looking for lug mount calipers for the kit car, much nicer when on show :cool:

Seems a shame they have to be centred with shims though - would have thought they could have designed them to line up perfectly :-(

Front post mount questions coming up soon ... :LOL:

Back