Dating a Colnago - how?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm wondering whether there is a reliable method to date a Colnago - frame number? Straight or curved fork? Paint?

Your thoughts would be really useful.

'Fraid I don't have any useful thoughts, but the title of the thread brought this to mind:

swiss-toni.jpg

Model ID and frame material helps a lot as do the tube profiles. The Prescia straight forks came in the mid-80s so is easy to spot.

I knew that I wouldn't be disappointed putting that title thread ;)

David B":3na56phw said:
Before that, might be worth putting feelers out on the UK owners' forum http://www.colnago.org.uk
Thanks for that, I'll see where I get to but it looks like the bikes/frames are slightly newer than mine.

monty dog":3na56phw said:
Model ID and frame material helps a lot as do the tube profiles. The Prescia straight forks came in the mid-80s so is easy to spot.
It's a master with the three main tubes fluted. Fluro paint suggests to me one era but the curved fork suggests it may predate the Prescia fork from 85/86. I can't say for sure but I'm fairly certain that the fork is original. although I guess there was a period when both forks were offered?

Anyway, rubbish photo attached and any more thoughts much appreciated.

Attachments

• Pink and White Master.JPG
    Pink and White Master.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 4,347
that looks great, love the chrome lugs on the headtube, i must get a colnago at some point if only just to look at it!

jonnyboy666":3f65zzzr said:
.....love the chrome lugs on the headtube...

Just for you.....

Attachments

• Fluro Master headtube.JPG
    Fluro Master headtube.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 4,343
jonnyboy666":2rgmgaoo said:
sorry Ed you just spoiled it, can you guess why?
Apart from it being a lash up build in a frightful colour, no, not really.

Back