'98 Sunn Vertik - back from the brink

X-Lite Cross Country risers have quite a lot of sweep and actually make the handling too lively even for me on my bikes, so I think the long fork is actually quite a good idea to balance out the enlivening effects of the bars.

nice bike mate, inspired me to register after lurkin around for couple of month, i have same in chrome, intend to upgrade/back to life mine wonderin how you got seatpost ??? mine is 26.4 and cant find nowt decent to fit :cry: also i think my wheels weigh a ton, still got original hutchinson chemeleons on bout 20% worn !!

petergriffin":1zx3bl3n said:
nice bike mate, inspired me to register after lurkin around for couple of month, i have same in chrome, intend to upgrade/back to life mine wonderin how you got seatpost ??? mine is 26.4 and cant find nowt decent to fit :cry: also i think my wheels weigh a ton, still got original hutchinson chemeleons on bout 20% worn !!

I found the seatpost on here - I think it is quite an unusual size but they do turn up, so I'd suggest keeping tabs on the for sale forum and ebay, and maybe post a wanted ad.

Good luck with the upgrade efforts, I'm really happy with mine and think its definitely worthwhile. It would be great to see some pics of your progress. And if you need new stickers I can send you the AI file I used for mine after some trial and error.

Thanks, will post message in wanted section, heres pics of mine, bought it 98 i think, hardisty cycles, with the intention of getting fit, originally came with obyss forks but they didnt last long :cry: partly upgraded to xt, as yours, and will progress, no doubt slowly when spare cash arises !!

Cracking weld job by the way, bet you were gutted when first saw that, bet its stronger than original now though.

Attachments

• PB010069.JPG
    PB010069.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 4,988
02gf74":2mqsna11 said:
how was the frame fixed?

Full story is in the link in the first post. I didn't speak to the guy at Chas Roberts that fixed it but I think they ran a welder through the crack and brazed the join. Heres a better pic of the repair - they have done a really great job and everyone thats seen it with an interest in such things (cyclists, engineers) has been really impressed.

fix1_931.jpg

@petergriffin, love the look of chrome finish Sunns like yours, and I like your yellow colour coordination :D Doesn't look like there's much wrong with it. What are your palns? After my crack I've fitted a slightly longer seatpost and a Salsa lip lock as I don't trust the QR seatpost binder.

Sunn Vertik

I too love my Sunn Vertik.
I've beeen the original owner since 96.
but it was time to get it powder coated to tart it up a bit,
would love to get some new decal but mine are different to yours.
but yours would be ok - can you help and how much did they cost?
cheers
The Bridge

i decided to go the lightweight route with mine, new bars, stem, tyres, tubes skewers etc, will post pics soon, havent been out on it yet but i think it will have turned a fast bike even faster - will just be me slowing it down !!! :oops:

struggling with seatpost though, i am actually thinking of opting for a 26.6 instead of 26.4 ? any advice ?? the existing 26.4 fits and is quite loose but dont want to waste money on a .6 and not to fit, maybe this had something to do with renaldo s frame cracking ???

Back