regina freewheel remover for my jack taylor

hosiescott

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
hi all. I'm trying to remove a regina freewheel. it takes a 2 pin thing, like this http://www.biketoolsetc.com/Product_Images/BR-CT600.jpg

The 2 little pin things are small. i thought i had the right one, but the pins are too big on mine. apparently the one in the link is for campag, and it fits old regina?

trying to change to a slightly wider range freewheel. does anybody have one i could buy, or even borrow for a day!?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You may struggle there.

Might I suggest a hammer, brute force and ignorance? It will be the end of the freewheel, but really they're disposable items.

i was thinking about filing down the pins, but i think maybe getting the local bike shop to crush and remove the freewheel might be the way to go actually...maybe next weekend, if nobody has a remover, i'll get brutal with it! thanks all..

If the remover does not work, remove the left hand thread end plate and tip the cogs etc into a bowl, or bucket.
With the pawls still in, clamp the centre of the freewheel in a vice, firmly but not too tight, then turn the wheel in the appropriate direction. Anti clockwise. A large plumbers wrench could work instead of a vice.
If you clamp it too tightly the centre will grip the threads and won't undo.
If you have a 13 t top gear that will have to come off first.
If you get this right you can reassemble the freewheel after.
The freewheel parts and removers are hardened, so grindable but not fileable. (unless you have diamond files)
Done this many times in the distant past.

yes, theyre disposable, but getting a replacement might be difficult unless you get a budget shimano free wheel, usually 14/24 or 14/28. Getting a good regina or maillard from BITD could be tough.
I wouldnt file down the extractor - you need a grinder as its fairly hard steel. I once had this problem and took off the top sprocket and removed the axle so that the protruding ring (the one with the slots cut in it) stood proud and got a hacksaw on it to make the slots wider and it all worjked out. Hope you understand the clumsy explanation and I am of course assuming your regina is the same model/design.

I think I may have one- I have lots of different ones still from my days as a mechanic... I'll take a look tomorrow.
However tomorrow will be a busy day for me, so if you could do me a favour and pm me your address, it will help to prod me to action. You're welcome to borrow it if I do have one.
Cheers
Ben

There are different Regina removers that were used over the years. The big long lever found in the Campagnolo tool kit works with most of them. You will however need to tighten down the lever with the Q/R to avoid it popping out and ripping the whole freewheel body. From the late 70's onwards, certain Regina freewheels required an extension tool that fits onto the Campagnolo lever as the recesses are too deep. Then from the 80's onward they began using a splined version. If you take good photos, I could tell you which one you need.

I forgot to mention, always lock the remover on with the qr or hub nut, the pressure helps to release the freewheel. Remember to undo the qr or hub nut as the freewheel is turned.

Back