WTB Phoenix

Why not the P2. Good fork, especially for the money.

I think this one may be the last steel Phoenix. Seriously. Definitely a cool pick up.

bushpig":1thvw1lt said:
Why not the P2. Good fork, especially for the money. .
I get teased for putting P2s on just about everything. I dig 'em, big money or not. :cool: I'd put a P2 on my grandmother if I could. :shock:

bushpig":1thvw1lt said:
I think this one may be the last steel Phoenix. Seriously. Definitely a cool pick up.

I'm liking it so far. :cool: What are you basing your 'last of' comments on? Spill it, Piggy. Gimme the scoop! :D

GoldenEraMTB":hg2pv1qf said:
bushpig":hg2pv1qf said:

It depends on the P2; not all P2 forks were made equal, as I'm sure you already know.

Very true. For example, the disc P2s weigh a ton and feel dead compared to the butted versions.

utahdog2003":342mjqp2 said:
GoldenEraMTB":342mjqp2 said:
bushpig":342mjqp2 said:

It depends on the P2; not all P2 forks were made equal, as I'm sure you already know.

Very true. For example, the disc P2s weigh a ton and feel dead compared to the butted versions.

Exactly. I had that one on a disc brake'd Kona Unit, didn't like it at all. Switched it out for a Surly fork that was a bit better.

An update of sorts.

I posted some pictures and the story (at least the chapter covering ownership by Utahdog World Headquarters, Congress of the Americas) of this WTB Phoenix, over on MTBR and I got a few little morsels of info, and some typical cryptic remarks. Apparently this is the last Phoenix ever made, and I am the 4th owner. Both sort of sad observations in their own right. But then again, the future looks bright for the old girl, because I don't sell many frames so it will probably have a home for a good long time. :D

Another MTBR'er made the comment that the fork looked short, which I don't see as accurate, but I want to give this thing the fair shake it deserves so I thought I'd ask, before I shoot an email to Mr. Potts himself. The frame is suspension corrected, and I have a 410mm a-to-c fork on the thing. Anyone know off-hand what the fork length should be for a 1997 Phoenix? I can't imagine a 440 on the thing, as I think that would make it handle like a bus, but then again, I'm used to EWR geometry which others would consider twitchy. Previous owner ran a yellow Judy SL.

The 410 feels very natural, and I didn't need any time at all to really dial up some speed and put it through its paces in NC two weeks ago. I guess either way, the 410 stays, but it would be nice to know that I'm running the thing as designed.

Anyone?

The fork is fine. BTW, did you check the names of some of the prior owners. Pretty good history!

bushpig":fvryk6ep said:
The fork is fine. BTW, did you check the names of some of the prior owners. Pretty good history!

I figured 410 would be correct, but you know us Florida cyclists get a little stoopid in the heat. I thought the banter over on MTBR about climbing was sort of funny, considering my elevation change consists of about 14 feet. :p

Seeing some of the previous owners names was cool, some of them, I don't recognize though, at least not by the first names and abreviations given.

I'm very happy with it. :D

I thought the banter over on MTBR about climbing was sort of funny, considering my elevation change consists of about 14 feet. :shock: :shock:

You need to come spend a weekend.... :D

We can do a house trade. The boys and I will come down and swim in the ocean, and you can come up and ride that new steed up and down some hills..... ;) ;)

Back