Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spike's Chris Chance track bike

• Citoyen du monde's Bob Jackson short wheelbase tandem

• Flyingfinn's 1987 531 Bromwich

• Total voters
On first viewing, Old Ned's Dave Russell immediately stood out as a classic. Subsequently, after further re-runs, this is still the case :D Great lines and proportions, looking every inch a powerhouse. Cracker!

There are a few things to be said here. I will not comment on my own tandem except to say that the paint scheme is very much a function of the time that the repaint took place and looks much better in person than in photos, especially when you see the metal flake.

To my personal eyes, the Claud Butler has everything to deserve being a winner, but the presentation is its undoing. The set-up of the saddle is horrendous, too far forward on the rails and too low for the frame size. Likewise the modern brake and brake lever are its total undoing.

The Lemond is neither here nor there. It is not what I consider a retro bike, but then at the same time it is too nice to be considered just a used bike. The reinforcements were ugly when they were first seen and were later shown to be ineffective, so you have a blight that is also not useful... Give it another 10 years however and ride it and you will have a winner.

The Dave Russell must have the least inventive set of frame decals that I have ever seen. They are too big and ugly. They are not in any way proportional to the frame size. Likewise, the mix of super record and nuovo record chainrings clashes in my eyes, as does the overly low brake lever placement and the manner that the seat stays are fitted below the reinforced part, and lastly how can a frame builder be able to consciously build a large frame like this with toe clip overlap?

Ik zal even niets over de Nederlandse fiets schrijven.

To me this leaves nothing other than the Chris Chance left over. While I do have some difficulty with the fact that it is not a ROAD BIKE and that it has not been ridden and that the paint scheme is rather unwieldy as noted by others, it is a beautifully made bike and a wonderful piece of art that can be appreciated by most people.

Citoyen du monde":xvgwhcvs said:
There are a few things to be said here. I will not comment on my own tandem except to say that the paint scheme is very much a function of the time that the repaint took place and looks much better in person than in photos, especially when you see the metal flake.

To my personal eyes, the Claud Butler has everything to deserve being a winner, but the presentation is its undoing. The set-up of the saddle is horrendous, too far forward on the rails and too low for the frame size. Likewise the modern brake and brake lever are its total undoing.

The Lemond is neither here nor there. It is not what I consider a retro bike, but then at the same time it is too nice to be considered just a used bike. The reinforcements were ugly when they were first seen and were later shown to be ineffective, so you have a blight that is also not useful... Give it another 10 years however and ride it and you will have a winner.

The Dave Russell must have the least inventive set of frame decals that I have ever seen. They are too big and ugly. They are not in any way proportional to the frame size. Likewise, the mix of super record and nuovo record chainrings clashes in my eyes, as does the overly low brake lever placement and the manner that the seat stays are fitted below the reinforced part, and lastly how can a frame builder be able to consciously build a large frame like this with toe clip overlap?

Ik zal even niets over de Nederlandse fiets schrijven.

To me this leaves nothing other than the Chris Chance left over. While I do have some difficulty with the fact that it is not a ROAD BIKE and that it has not been ridden and that the paint scheme is rather unwieldy as noted by others, it is a beautifully made bike and a wonderful piece of art that can be appreciated by most people.

Dont you think you are getting a little too picky? If it were my machine Id tell you where to go...

Personally i believe seat postion, bar position, brake lever mounting are all a matter of personal choice, and i try not to let it, cloud my judgement.
When i vote, it's simple, 7 bikes lined up, which one would i like most in my garage, thats the one i vote for wether it's worth a tenner or 5 grand.
After all, the road bike of the month comp, is a bit of fun......

mavesyn":1n1uw7zs said:
Personally i believe seat postion, bar position, brake lever mounting are all a matter of personal choice, and i try not to let it, cloud my judgement.
When i vote, it's simple, 7 bikes lined up, which one would i like most in my garage, thats the one i vote for wether it's worth a tenner or 5 grand.

I wholeheartedly agree!
:D

mavesyn":2r03ayb0 said:

Personally I vote for the bikes as they are in the photo.

After all, practically every part of a bike is personal choice and can be changed. You can change the position of the saddle, bars, brake levers, and then extend this to the choice of all the components, and even the frame colour.

If a bike has its bars or brake levers pointing up, as it seems is the modern fashion, it's not going to get my vote.

Spokesmann":22k9con0 said:
Citoyen du monde":22k9con0 said:
Dont you think you are getting a little too picky? If it were my machine Id tell you where to go...
I don't think I'd express it quite as forthrightly as CdM did, but I'm more-or-less in agreement. From the toptube down, it's a potential winner. The modern saddle and its position really wreck the overall effect. The brake levers are borderline criminal!

Citoyen du monde":22k9con0 said:
The Dave Russell ... ['s] mix of super record and nuovo record chainrings clashes in my eyes, as does the overly low brake lever placement and the manner that the seat stays are fitted below the reinforced part, and lastly how can a frame builder be able to consciously build a large frame like this with toe clip overlap?
It looks as though the seat lug is extended down the back of the seat tube for the attachment of the seat stays. I think it's quite an elegant touch. Judging by the straight block, this is a time-trial special, so the short wheelbase and low brake levers fit the job description. It's not meant for honking on the hoods or weaving around in the pack: it's a sprint bike - five miles out and five miles back. And it's still the prettiest of the bunch by a country mile.

Back