99 Sunn Exact UN

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this fom Bruno (bduc61) on here a while ago but hadn't got around to doing much with it until recently.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

I've got a Syncros bar, stem and seatpost for it and probably going to go for a SID Team up front

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

Drivetrain wise I was going to go for full M952 XTR - already got STIs, brakes and BB - but was thinking it might be a bit samey and maybe go for something else for cranks, maybe Race Face. Any suggestions?

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

:cool: cool frame and cool kit, should be a winner!

I would want to know how the length of the SID compared to the length of fork the frame was designed for before I decided on the length of stem to use. It's a great frame, but Obsyss were short. I would guess you need a 10cm stem at most for an SID.

Coincidence, I just bought a Sunn this very morning from a bike jumble.

I think yours is a little further advanced than mine however, I will be interested in watching how you build it up.

Anthony":a48rbzyc said:
I would want to know how the length of the SID compared to the length of fork the frame was designed for before I decided on the length of stem to use. It's a great frame, but Obsyss were short. I would guess you need a 10cm stem at most for an SID.

I was a bit worried about the length of that SID too - its around 455mm axle-to-crown if I remember correctly, don't know that how that compares to the Obsyss but a fair bit longer I suspect. I've just bought Wadsy's SID World Cup which I might use instead, and thats 440mm so should be better.

DA-EVO":a48rbzyc said:

Thats quite a find. What model? Love to see some pics.

renaldo":2v7hzxeu said:
DA-EVO":2v7hzxeu said:

Thats quite a find. What model? Love to see some pics.

mine is an 'urge' although I can't find a frame number as yet and I don't really know much other than its similar in paint and weld-ons to yours, but no stickers mentioning Columbus or the red discs on the top tube.

Its also a lot grubbier and is going to need some work to get built up.

Will post up a thread for it at some point.

Good luck with yours!

I was a bit worried about the length of that SID too - its around 455mm axle-to-crown if I remember correctly, don't know that how that compares to the Obsyss but a fair bit longer I suspect. I've just bought Wadsy's SID World Cup which I might use instead, and thats 440mm so should be better.

yeah your sid has 6cm longer atc compared with an obsys carbon, which is the most proper fork for this cool frame ;) got a couple of sunns myself, and don't ride anything but obsys carbons.. mmmm 32mm sweet travel ;) hihi

good luck building *thumbs up*

DA-EVO":296yme5d said:
mine is an 'urge' although I can't find a frame number as yet and I don't really know much other than its similar in paint and weld-ons to yours, but no stickers mentioning Columbus or the red discs on the top tube.

Good luck with yours!

I think the Urge has Fuji SL tubing rather than Columbus, and a lot of Sunns from this period seem to lose their oval top tube stickers, not sure why. But a lovely bike and definitely worth fixing up.

biocandy":296yme5d said:
yeah your sid has 6cm longer atc compared with an obsys carbon, which is the most proper fork for this cool frame ;) got a couple of sunns myself, and don't ride anything but obsys carbons.. mmmm 32mm sweet travel ;) hihi

I would be tempted by a Obsyss carbon, but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo, and I have bad memories of the standard Obsyss on my Vertik - I swear a rigid fork would have been better as the damping or rebound on it seemed to remove any correlation between what you felt and the terrain underneath you. Is the carbon fork better or just lighter?

renaldo":3p0hachd said:
I would be tempted by a Obsyss carbon, but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo, and I have bad memories of the standard Obsyss on my Vertik - I swear a rigid fork would have been better as the damping or rebound on it seemed to remove any correlation between what you felt and the terrain underneath you. Is the carbon fork better or just lighter?

been tormenting 2 of my carbons without any problem for 2 years now, and no problems.. only service is on one that i had to inflate some air into.. it's a really good fork and you got just the right frame to go with it.. the combo is great if you like to work your bike and not just tagging along a full susp ride ;)

going to complete a disc brake sunn soon and keen on seeing how the obsys carbon handle a disc brake

Back