Can't fit disc caliper to 1996 Bomber Z2s

JohnH

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Took my bike into the LBS yesterday to have a new front wheel, disc rotor and caliper fitted. LBS phoned me up today to say "No can do"; they couldn't find any caliper or adapter that would fit the mounting lugs on the Bombers.

I did a bit of research online and discovered that in the mid 90s, Marzocchi had adopted the "standard" mount of a company called Formula with a 48mm distance between the mounting holes. Everyone else adopted a standard of 51mm... :roll:

There's a thread here where the OPer has the same problem as me, but someone comes to his rescue with an adapter. There's also pictures of the adapter in place, permitting a disc caliper to be mounted onto a pair of Bomber Z2s.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=368657

Anybody know where I might get such an adapter? :? If not, I guess I'll stick with V-brakes...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks Lysander, I've looked thru but I can't see any kind of mounting adapters at all...

But thanks all the same! :)

Think they are really hard to find mate. I did send a user on here the dimensions as he was going to try knocking some up himself and for others, i'll pass on his details to you and you can chase him up see how he is getting on, might be worth a try?

i had some that a previous owner had drilled out to accept is mount. is that an option?

they wont be IS mounts, thats for definite, back then there were a few competing standards.

coomber":3rat89zt said:
Think they are really hard to find mate. I did send a user on here the dimensions as he was going to try knocking some up himself and for others, i'll pass on his details to you and you can chase him up see how he is getting on, might be worth a try?
Cheers for the PM, I'll try to find out what I can. Thanks again! :)

lewis1641":3rat89zt said:
i had some that a previous owner had drilled out to accept is mount. is that an option?
You mean that someone had drilled out the Bombers?

mattbrown":3rat89zt said:
they wont be IS mounts, thats for definite, back then there were a few competing standards.
No, you're quite right. The guy in my LBS thinks that my only option is to buy some new forks.

i'm sure a few members on here have made mounts for bombers, try PM'ing mikee or big.eck. I know eck's made his own mounts ;)

Back