1989/90 Saracen Tufftrax - Finished!

Lovely find. It's great when you get a free bike in such good original condition.
I little bit of a polish and that'll looking and riding great in no time.
Looks like the front mech is a bit bent out of shape and the rear QR is closed in the 'Open' position though.

I take it you've already found this page on the Saracen thread?

Saracenpage5.jpg

Yep, saw that pic, thanks... The rear QR is open in the open position... I took the pic very shortly before I removed the rear wheel. It closes just fine.

I did notice that front mech being out of alignment. I'll make a note of looking at it when I come to service the whole bike.

It owes me £4 in cables so far. Bargain!

I just hope the small frame fits me, failing that my excuse is 'bike for the wife' ;)

I'd love a pair of those Allstars with the neon stripes in the catalogue pic. Heh. Not sure about the socks though.

It's the steely look of determination while riding down steps in a bandana that I'm still working on.

drystonepaul":3ncmt99f said:
It's the steely look of determination while riding down steps in a bandana that I'm still working on.

Probably thinking 'I wish someone would invent cost effective suspension systems for mountain bikes'

Actually, it says a lot about the late 80s that they advertise a mountain bike by making a bloke ride down some steps in town.... Where are the mountains?

Yep, my first mtb too.......still have it, and full restoration is planned for the very near future. Still have most of the original parts and most are in absolutely superb condition, so looking forward to my first retrobike build.

Found a Saracen saddle for this on Ebay... Also some new skewers to make it look a bit shiny.

Now I'm looking at the wheels and tidying them up a bit, but I notice the tyres have suffered some deterioration over time.

What do we reckon? Ride em or bin em?

Attachments

• SANY0001.JPG
    SANY0001.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,415
I've got a 1989 Saracen Eiger f+f on its way to me, it looks exactly the same as this, the colour, decals except they say Eiger instead of Tufftrax are identical.

What was the difference between the 2 models?

I've got my eye on an identical one which belongs to a friend of ours. It was her daughters bitd and is just sitting in a garden shed neglected! Same spec as yours :cool:

Will keep watching to see how this takes shape.

Back