Mag 21 / 21 SL Differences

Drewson

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell me the exact difference between the Rockshox Mag 21 and the Titanium Mag 21 SL? Which parts are Ti on the 21 SL? Are the Ti parts the only difference?

Cheers,

Drew :)

PS. If anyone has a Mag 21 SL Crown/steerer in 1" threaded (over 180mm) and they want to sell then drop me a PM ;)

Aluminium steerer as skolioza said, unsure about the crown, Ti bolts, the brace is a different colour but i'm unsure if it's a different (lighter) grade of aluminium. I don't know if any of the internals are different either. I have a 94 SLTi and normal Mag21 so I can check any obvious differences.

Easy_Rider":tu7e5lzr said:
Aluminium steerer as skolioza said
I don't realy mean steerer... (here of course You're right)
I mean tubes down the crown (I was thinking it's name is higher legs....)
I think they were made by aluminium, not steeel like in ordinary Mag (on photo)

mag.jpg

skolioza":2djsiz8e said:
Easy_Rider":2djsiz8e said:
Aluminium steerer as skolioza said
I don't realy mean steerer... (here of course You're right)
I mean tubes down the crown (I was thinking it's name is higher legs....)

The stanchions? They were the same on Mag21SLTi and Normal Mag21, the 1994's anyway. The later ones didn't have the "gold" stanchions, the 1994 certainly did.

Your picture is of an early Mag21 that didn't have the aluminium stanchions. 1994 did, and I think the later ones changed again.

Picture shows Mag20, it always have steel stanchions ( :D I like this word - everyday something new to learn :D )
But about Mag 21 SL Ti - quote form Mombat:
Rock Shox adds the Mag 21 SL with aluminum stanchions

Also about booster (brace?) isnt it made by magnesium? (not sure about it, but I think I heard somethink like this...)

They where made for the 1994 model year

The only differences where
- Alu steerer and improved crown material, this is the 'SL' part.
- Ti bolts (all) and Ti brake studs this it the 'Ti' part.

- The brace may also have been made of Magnesium and not Aluminium, though never having one I have never been able to confim this. I believe it was as it's mentioned many times (but some say this may be the silver colour) though it's also suppose to be flexier due to using Magnesium, hence the improved crown material to offset this (probably also the 'SL' part)

That is it.

Well apart from the paint job ;)

So if anyone sells you an SL or SL/Ti without the Aluminium steerer then it's not and SL. (or Ti is no Ti bolts)

In 1994 the standard MAG21 had the Aluminium tapered stanchions as well, all other years had Steel. So technically this is not an SL part...
But alternatively it could be bought as part of an SL upgrade (you also needed the top caps as they are a different fit to all other years)

1994 onwards all forks had the same internals 1994+ MAG21's and 1994 MAG10. The '10' had a different top cap, but could be turned into a a 1995+ fork by fitting the top caps from them.

No other year had Aluminium stanchions or an SL/Ti, The JUDY came along to spoil all that.
1993 internals where a touch different and the
1992 it was 30/20's so no MAG21's

My MAG 20 had magnesium brace and crown and were very prone to corrosion.

I've just bought my first set in 17 years just to see if they were as bad as I remember.

LGF, the brace and crown will be aluminium ;) The MAG30/20 crown did corrode and infact some where recalled Do you have have the 'bronzed anodised crown with 'sharp'edges as opposed to the machined and smoother MAG21/10 crowns

MAG20's I snapped mine :roll: bought '94 MAG21 to replace it and still have them :)

Lower legs are of course Magnesium, that where the name came from.

Have fun playing with air pressure, oil weight and height :D

Back