Campagnolo 8 speed Rear Mech with 10 speed cassette

TheElectronKid

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi. Just started sorting out my latest build, 90's Merckx Corsa Extra, and would like to use some C-Record/Chorus bits with a 10 speed drivetrain.

My question is can you use a Campag 8 speed Rear Mech with a 10 speed cassette ?

The 8 speed Rear Mechs look much nicer than the later 9/10 speed models, particularly the C-Record Rear Mech.

Any comments much appreciated

Thanks

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I expect you'd have shifting issues with that combination, 10sp shifter n'all. (Although I've never tried it with Campag.)

I've just built a Corsa Extra. New type Campag freehub (same as you will have), new 9sp rings, 9sp cassette and chain working with the old mechs, shifters and cranks.

My solution was to re-space the cassette (spacer kit) with 1 ring removed. Shifts perfectly with a 8sp Record Mech and 8sp Chorus ergoshifter.

8sp bike basically. (but with new drivetrain I can easily replace.)

10 speed and 8 speed Campag mechs pull different amounts of cable so if it works, it may not work well, or for long as the parts wear.

Thanks for the replies.

Because I want a 10 speed drivetrain it seems sensible to use a 10 speed rear mech and get good shifting, rather than go for more retro/classic looks and compromised performance.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

8 speed is 3.5mm to move it 6.03mm vs 10 speed is 2.8mm to move the mech 4.8mm so in fact a 10 speed shifter should move an 8 speed mech 4.8mm if my sums are correct! www.highpath.net is a good source for fixes to correct cable-pull ratios

8 speed conversion

isnt the cable pull controlled by the levers not the rear mech ????

as long as the mech moves the full length of the number of sprockets you should be able to use any rear mech

on my cross bike have 9 speed campag ergos, 9 speed shimano cassette,9 speed campag rear mech. with no mods

on another have the same but with a shimano 105 10 speed rear mech with no mods

have a vintage Vitus X bike with shimano 7 speed STI with a conventional 7 speed screw on free wheel and an old 600 ex rear mech with no mods.

Re: 8 speed conversion

orbeas":y3reyquk said:
isnt the cable pull controlled by the levers not the rear mech ????

as long as the mech moves the full length of the number of sprockets you should be able to use any rear mech

on my cross bike have 9 speed campag ergos, 9 speed shimano cassette,9 speed campag rear mech. with no mods

on another have the same but with a shimano 105 10 speed rear mech with no mods

have a vintage Vitus X bike with shimano 7 speed STI with a conventional 7 speed screw on free wheel and an old 600 ex rear mech with no mods.

The problem is a different leverage in the mech, so Campag mechs move less far for a given cable pull than Shimano. Post-2001 mechs move even less, which makes the shifting less finicky.

Apologises for dragging up an old thread.

It is a question about your Corsa Extra's being 9 speed, and their original rear drop out width.

I have a Corsa Extra (circ 1988/89) and I am moving to 8 speed, I brought it second hand, with a 7 speed SACH screw on (126mm dropout). When I move to campag 8 speed Hub (130mm dropout), will I need to cold form or snap open the frame, or did it start life as with a 130mm rear drop out width?

It will be fine. I have run 9, 8 and ancient record rear mechs with 10 speed shifters.
in many case the theory won't match the reality

Back