What use for un-wanted stuff

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Now i'm sure the are retro bikers out there who have loads of stuff that they wont use but at that same time wont throw away. So do you use them in other ways? I have an un-wanted OS Race face handle bar (cut down an inch) But cant sell but rather let it collect dust. I use when i need extra leverage on undoing hex bolts and any other bolts need un-tightening. :D

I use old bottom brackets to measure up what size I need for a given frame/crank combination

it gives my girlfriend something (else) to complain about

seriously though, i too use an old set of bars for leverage/whacking stuff.

I use an old salsa rear QR and 2 1 1/4" aheadset stem caps to act as a great headset press

I've got piles of off casts around here as a result of upgrades and such....so I bought this..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=015
...now I've got something to put it on ;)

I am thinking of building this up and giving it to my dad.....re-cycling in action...or just another impulsive ebay purchase?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
jango":am8yzg6v said:
I've got piles of off casts around here as a result of upgrades and such....so I bought this..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=015
...now I've got something to put it on ;)

I am thinking of building this up and giving it to my dad.....re-cycling in action...or just another impulsive ebay purchase?

A cunning plan! Sneak a new bike into the house one part at a time! No one will ever know. With all those bits not cluttering the place up think of the space you'll be saving!?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
pete_mcc":vjbvt23a said:
I use an old salsa rear QR and 2 1 1/4" aheadset stem caps to act as a great headset press

does that work well pete? its the last tool I need to buy (previously always nicked my mates ;) )

Worked a treat on my last 3 king headsets (all on different bikes, not that I had to replace a single king 3 times...). Just got to get it all lined up and then close the QR a little at a time, tighten, close, tighten etc

pete_mcc":17q2x61a said:
Worked a treat on my last 3 king headsets (all on different bikes, not that I had to replace a single king 3 times...). Just got to get it all lined up and then close the QR a little at a time, tighten, close, tighten etc

yeh I quite like the sound of that, will give it a try :) ta for the tip :)

The QR skewer tip for pressing in headsets is cool ! That should be tip of the month, no make it tip of the year !

Back