Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Not been on here for a bit, but have recently finished my mid 90's Hardtrax...

Picked the frame and forks off th'ebay for a mere 12 english! was gonna go for cantis, but had alot of newer 9 speed gear and the v brakes left over from somethin else!

Thanks to ed (orange71) for the flexstem as well, which clashes a bit but i like it!!!!!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,972
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,972
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,971
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,972
An interesting mix of old and modern on that, but it looks good.

On another note those that pursue the older Saracens, perhaps late eighties through to early nineties although I suspect the one I have found on ebay is a 1990 model, I had not before heard of a Limited Edition.

But from what I can discern, it has what looks like Shimano LX on it, but one of the shots shows what appears to be a lugged tube and a rear seat stay/seat tube connection with similarity to what I understand as an older frame, i.e. not 1990.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saracen-21-Mountain-Bike-/270655338419?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f0450b7b3

Anyone any ideas ?

But looking at it and a later frame one can clearly see those that designed the Saracen were learning by their design errors, such things as cable routing, away from the mud and rocks and seat tube slot and clamp orientated so flung up mud and water does not go down the seat tube. It is clear Saracen was designing their bikes for British weather and conditions, but aside from that what other manufacturers moved in their learned design errors ?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ooh, that one has Shimano Diadora LX gears on it according to the the listing :LOL:

That's a new one on me!

Yeah, I suppose the brain gets a bit fuddled in old age, it is nearly right, it begins with a 'd' and we all know what it is meant to say.

I've got a 1989/90 Saracen Eiger frame & forks arriving soon, can anyone tell me were it fitted into the range?

Tried looking at the catalogues but it doesnt seem to be there?

It looks identical to the 89 Tufftrax.

Found some old pics of my 1992/3 'Special Edition', including one of me at Thrunton woods around that time - as I recall, my first proper mountain bike trip :LOL:

P1020028.jpg

P1020035.jpg

Bike is currently with the Father in Law, but I may purloin it back soon!

Just missed out on a Saracen Blizzard advertised locally - can't find any info on the net about them - anyone know anything? It was advertised as having "centre pull brakes" by which i assume the guy meant cantis, so prob early-mid 90s?

so have i missed a gem or a BSO?

:LOL:

Back