Gator fade photos please !

Dont slit your wrists over the exact colors.
We own a Gator fade Klein and frankly its different everytime you look at it.
It will change when outdoors/candecent/flourecent light.
Everytime you phototgraph it the camera chip/film type and the above light situations will also effect and alter it.
And lets face it trying to recreate a multi color fade from 12(?) years ago with -new- paint.....
What I am getting at is try to enjoy the outcome.

Hi,

I've a linear fade attitude and am happy to do you some pics of the stem. PM me your e-mail address and I'll try and sort them tomorrow.

Good luck with your project. I have a spare judy crown which came with my bike which is unsprayed.

Doing a linear fade is actually relatively easy for a good airbrusher. I've got a giraffe spotted fork and bar ends with more intricate work than a linear fade. What you need to make sure is that they get the colors right.

The precise paint is probably not available anymore as paints change due to newer technology and environmental regulations. The other issue is that the brighter neon colors fade more than a flatter color. So that even if you don't think your bike had faded at all in the last fifteen years, it has to some degree.

So what I would make sure is that the place can do an exact color mix. It ran me $105 just to get the resprayed parts of the bike to match and they do so perfectly. The person who worked on the fork and bar ends first did such an inexcusably poor, no, shitty job on the colors (well, on the spots too) that I had to have all her work redone.

I've dealt with a 4-5 painters over the years and that's MHO.

Pinguwin

crowns an brace were fades too on the mag 20/21s and probably looks better than polished too.

As pinguwin says the fade is constructed fairly simply and shouldn't be too difficult for any experienced airbrusher.

Painting from photos could present so minor problems in that its difficult to photograph the yellow to green transition (well I can't take a photo which truely shows what its like).

Anyway some poor photos of my 93 taken a while back. I can take lots more if you haven't already got lots.

Attachments

• DirtyKlein2.jpg
    DirtyKlein2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,017
  • DirtyKlein1.jpg
    DirtyKlein1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,017
This is amusing because Im planning on doing a gator fade on the Klein Ive recently aquired...or maybe horizon...
The company do stuff for Chaz Roberts..
I have some paint left on the frame so hopefully I can colour match?
Cant decide whether its two colours which when they met produce the third colour or whether its sprayed in three colours?
The other option is to go for one colour which will probaly be fluoro...got to be wacky if its a klein!
lots of Gators here..
http://kleinpics.tripod.com/id5.html
John could you send me some pics to? I'll pm you my email ad.
J

jonrock":22agq4g5 said:
Cant decide whether its two colours which when they met produce the third colour or whether its sprayed in three colours?

It looks like 3 different spray colours rather than two mixing to me, but is difficult to pick out in most photos.

andrewl":a4q0huny said:
jonrock":a4q0huny said:

It looks like 3 different spray colours rather than two mixing to me, but is difficult to pick out in most photos.

http://www.kleinjapan.com/tech_guide/pr ... manual.pdf

on page 34 and 35 the colors are listed. Klein used a base layer (white) and then 3 colors for 1 or 2 coat layers to create the fades. i.e. the "yellow" and "balloon blue" are single colors over the white base and the green results from "powder blue" sprayed over "yellow" over the white base. and all that wet on wet iirc...
Carsten

Back