Cannondale Headshok maintenance?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just bought a lovely Delta V900 with headshok (thanks Bear Chan!) - just wondering how you service the headshok fork? I can remove the plastic top with the circlip around the screwhead - but what does that screw do? Is it preload? Turning in either direction seems to make no difference. From reading elsewhere to reomve the shock you bang it down with a rubber mallet... is this right? The big plastic knob on top does adjust damping a bit - but it never locks out fully - is that right? Also it goes straight from very stiff to too soft - can this be adjusted?

Anybody got a manual or instructions? Or advice...?

cheers

I stripped a headshock only three days ago so I now have it sat in my garage if you need any spares.

If you take the stem off and knock the top of the unit with a mallet, the whole fork assembly will drop out of the headtube giving you access to service the shock itself. The link above is pretty good and tells you everything you need to know.

cool - not sure if I'm brave enough just yet - but would like to know what the screw does on top - is it anything to do with preload?

Presumably I need to loosen the headset bearing cups before I do anything?

I know nothing about Headshoks so forgive the daft questions!

I'll have a proper look at the one I have and get back to you.

It was taken off a bike so that some other forks could be put on (with reducers obviously) so I didn't go into too much detail with it other than stripping it down, I'll take a look at it tomorrow and try to get you some sensible advice!

that'd be great thanks. Are you looking to keep them? Which ones are they? Here are mine:

cannon4_143.jpg

Back