Trek 800 ... used & abused since 1998

Hawmaw

MacRetro Rider
I know this was an entry level bike when it came out and won't appeal to all you lovers of the exotic but there doesn't seem to be many left , especially examples like this which is still chucked around the trails in it's original spec. In recent weeks it's been around the Arrochar loop in Argyle and up at Carron Valley.

It belongs to a mate of mine who is 6'6". The bike has a 22.5" frame and the measurement from the pedal to saddle is an eye watering 38" .
The headstock is 8" which makes it almost impossible to source a period sus fork as it would need a steerer tube of 280mm or thereabouts.
And the whole thing only weighs in at 31lb.

I think the wishbone at the back is quite unusual and the fact the gear cables run along the top tube and down to the mechs.

The mechs and chainset are budget Shimano SIS but are still working.
The BB has play and is just about to give up the ghost.

Maybe bring back memories for some of you !

Trek800.jpg

Trekb.jpg

Trek800c.jpg

Trek800a.jpg

wrong - I t hink we like to see all bikes, especially ones that are well looked after, even if they are not exotic.

My first mountina bike was a 22 inch Trek 850, around 1990., horizontal top tube - sold as frame was too bit but then I did buy it 1/2 price - componentry moved to a Saracen Kiliflyer (20 in green frame) - that was part ex for a Proflex XP-8 - still have that one; currently undergoing disc conversion.

Back