Finally dusted off my Kona and DeKerf

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
These have been in my parents loft for ages :? finally got them down and brought them home to dust them off, strip them down and rebuild them :)

Their looking a bit sorry for themselves at the moment and before anyone mentions it :LOL: the cranks on the Kona are just pushed on for the pic and yes I know the rear mech is missing :LOL:

I hate the look of the Kona now, especially the disc adaptor :? I originally built it up as a low maintainance bike for over the winter of 1999/2000 ish but it never happened and just got stored away :shock:

Apart from the stem I still quite like the look of the Dekerf :) think a zero rise stem will just about the biggest change to that :)

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of them now just so I can do a before and after :)

Before I joined here I'd decided to sell at least one if not both of these :? but you lot are not a good influence ;) :LOL:

kona-2.jpg

dek.jpg

well if you hate the look of the kona il take it off your hand if you pay me to come and collect it!

dom_k":3rds3hya said:
well if you hate the look of the kona il take it off your hand if you pay me to come and collect it!

Alright perhaps hate was a little strong :LOL:

The Hei Hei looks utterly superb to me. OK the disk adapter is a pity, but I've never felt the need for a rear disk anyway personally, but that's just me. Size 17 too, just my perfect Kona size.

Not quite so sure about Wildgripper green with that nice red de Kerf frame though! But I do agree about zero-rise stem. And so nice to see straight seat posts. Lay-back looks all wrong on high-end frames IMO. I can never understand lay-back posts anyway - who wants their ar5e all the way back there?

Anthony":1785wmh7 said:
The Hei Hei looks utterly superb to me. OK the disk adapter is a pity, but I've never felt the need for a rear disk anyway personally, but that's just me. Size 17 too, just my perfect Kona size.

Not quite so sure about Wildgripper green with that nice red de Kerf frame though! But I do agree about zero-rise stem. And so nice to see straight seat posts. Lay-back looks all wrong on high-end frames IMO. I can never understand lay-back posts anyway - who wants their ar5e all the way back there?

How could you tell it was a 17" from that picture :shock: I always thought it was an 18" until this morning when I measured it :)

I know what you mean about the wildgrippers :? but it needs nice amber walls and I haven't got any at the moment, all black tyres make the wheels look huge and clumsy on the small frame :shock: so I'm afraid for now its wildgrippers :D

How could you tell it was a 17" from that picture :shock: I always thought it was an 18" until this morning when I measured it :)

Sorry, but obviously it's a 17 inch. :roll:
It's all in the slope of the top tube and height of the seatpost junction relative to the tyre.

Er... is it sad or weird to be able to guesstimate old Kona sizing?
But then I do own an 18, a 19 and two 20s :oops:

Back