2011 Trek Fuel EX9 project

Nick C":102loojr said:
Ok now I know I need a tapered 1 1/8 steerer! I rang up Merlin yesterday to ask if I did and was told I didn't! Grrrr!!!

Nightmare !! :?

Didnt even cross my mind, Would they not swap the steerers for you?

No idea because Merlin only open the first Saturday of each month and I presume it's already been posted.

I imagine it will need a different crown at the very least.

I have seen them for sale with the tapered steerer, but not in white unless I spend full whack for this years model...which I wont be doing.

I think I'll have to send this one back for a refund!

If you have a 1 1/8" fork and a tapered headtube on the frame, can you not used a stepped headset (which is a different o/s diameter at each end, but the same inside diameter of 1 1/8")?

That is exactly what I asked before purchasing this fork and was told I could. However I am unable to find a headset like this. I explained this to a guy from CRC yesterday who then gave me 2 product codes, both led me to a headset with the two internal diameters. I explained again what I was looking for and he said he thought they sold one but would call me back within the hour rather than leaving me on hold again. That was 20 hours ago, lol. Going to ring up KMB today for additional advice.

just thinking aloud...

often when companies send out frames they send kits, so frame, headset, seat clamp. then you buy a 1.5-1,1/8th reducer headset, and just use the bottom cup from that and the top cup from the new frame. the headset is integrated so you wont see the bottom part, so wont look mismatched.

maybe.... :D

Yes you could be right, it seems as though there are options. The shop doesn't think the headset is included as they haven't been on previous warranty frames they've received, but I've read online today cases where customers have received the headset. I do know they are throwing in a BB which is not normal.

I've emailed Trek and should have a reply on Monday and I'll also give Hope a call on Monday too.

So I believe I can go back to being excited about the arrival of my first Fox fork. :D

I've a mate who built up a reign x using a standard 1 1/8 fork. He originally bought a hope reducer headset but it didn't fit in the reign, he had to order a specific giant one. Be sure to check with trek you can fit the headset you buy into an E2 headtube... Would you also be kind enough to let me know the outcome :)

I sent an email to Trek this weekend which should be replied to tomorrow as they are very prompt, I will of course let you know both their advice and Hope's.

I've just popped into Wheelbase today and apparently Hope can make them to order, they cost about £75.00. I'll still speak to Trek and Hope before I order one.

Hope have confirmed they can make one to fit, so this shouldn't be an issue I'm hoping. Price will be around £80 max.

Fox forks arrived today and while they are not the 2011 models, I think they look fantastic. I've always wanted a pair, so I'm chuffed to bits, I just hope they ride as well as they look!

nick_fox_02.jpg

I'm a sucker for anodising!

nick_fox_01.jpg

Back