700c wheels in 'old' frames, lets see em.

oldgit

Retro Guru
As in frames for 27 1/4" wheelsets.
My Lenton will have guards and I'm wondering how far out it would look if at all.

my 1974 frame with 700c

norman_in_the_sun_158.jpg

norman_makeover_001_203.jpg

I think that looks alright. My 69 Claud is for proper winter training and will be similar to yours, only running a singlespeed freewheel.

Out of interest are those tyres 23 or 25s?I thought some 25s might pad out the spaces a bit.

Relatively speaking it's only the same as fitting a pair of sprints so should be OK.

Here's my 1972 Holdsworth Mistral, which was built for 27", with 700s (sputnik rims with 32mm Schwalbe Marathons)

Attachments

• IMG_5281 600x400.JPG
    IMG_5281 600x400.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,218
Old Ned":26s57kx6 said:
Relatively speaking it's only the same as fitting a pair of sprints so should be OK.

You could make the mistake that I did - get 27" wheels built up before realising it was probably built for sprints :LOL:

Still, I think it looks good anyway - shame the only brakes I can find with a shallow enough drop and nut fitting are useless Campag jobs which would definitely incur brown trousers if ridden in the wet.

The difference in size is so small I doubt you'd notice. I think it's about a 10mm difference in diameter overall, based on the amount I had to move the brake block down when I tried my 700c's on my old Viscount.

Back