'95 Kona AA

Har-Har

It didn't go anywhere last night :p

Managed to clean up the rear wheel a bit, got the cassette moving as it was seized. seems to click around without too much bother now.

Got half the headset out, but the other half is still stuck, will have another try another time, or maybe just down to the LBS on saturday (thanks coomber).

Frame is clean and ready for touching up as rojo pointed out.

The list of things i've got is growing.

Got some LX shifters off Nomad14 last night, thank you. Some tools and a headset should be arriving from Emoco and rojo respectively today, thanks to you too

Signs of envy there I think, Rojo. And why not indeed. I expect you'd like an Ah Ah project to work on too, wouldn't you? :)

Bob, although I offered to help and would still be very happy to, I can't think that I could do any more than you. My only misgivings were about your references to WD40 and a mallet.

If you're going to soak it, I think Plusgas is infinitely more effective than WD40. Some expert will probably now come on and tell me they're chemically identical, but in my experience WD40 is puny in comparison.

And I would use a hammer as hard as you like, not a mallet. I don't think you can do any damage (unless you miss!) The steel cup and aluminium frame haven't actually bonded. In my experience, the galling together is just the creation of a kind of dust between them that has very high friction and really resists movement. But once you do shift it, you will leave the head tube perfectly undamaged.

I hold the head tube and steerer in my left hand, with the steerer angled across so that it is firmly on the headset cup on the other side, and then hit the steerer on the same side as it is on the headset cup. I hit it pretty sharply, once. Then I swap it round to the opposite side of the cup and repeat, continuing with alternate blows until either it comes out or I die, whichever is first. And I haven't died yet. Not quite anyway.

Not saying there's any of that you haven't done, but just that's all I could do. But sometimes a job does seem easier when there's two of you.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am looking forward to seeing it built i had the same frame, i have sold it now :( :( . The guy that bought it , had it stolen 3 days after it left my place, scumbags :x :x

Looking forward to see how the touch ups go on this ;) ;)

Thanks for the help Anthony, I shall try ou the plus gas at the weekend to see if it makes a difference.

Very impatient to see it finished now, despite still needing all sorts :roll:

BobCatMax":1e6pt72o said:
rescued seat post and very worn out seat

IMG_20101009_173450.jpg
The seat post looks original, but I'm afraid that saddle isn't. It's similar to the type they used in 1997 actually.

For reference, this is the type of saddle they used in 1995.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... MEWAX%3AIT
The price is surprisingly high, but you can see why I suggested you go back and get the original saddle from him if you could!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Alas Anthony, no saddle love from the crazy man in the shop.

Today was a good day. The chaps down at Quest smacked it about a bit and low and behold the bottom half of the headset popped out.

the work begins!

Got rojo's aheadset in. looks fantastic. I was a little worried about how wide it is, but now it's in it looks fantastic (IMO)

New cassette from bat40a6 slid on with no problems though the old one was a little bugger to get off. Question about this actually, will get part number tomorrow, but the old sugino casette is an 8-speed, 11 - 28 teeth. The one bat40a6 gave me is an 8 speed XT, but with a lot more teeth. will check and post up the details tomorrow, but the difference could cause me a whole lot of trouble, right?

found some very cheeky orange brake cable outers, so i may stick with the v's...really not sure about this atm.

Wheels got tubes and tyres and then plonked on, along with an old Manitou fork i had lying about just to test things out, coz i couldn't resist..you know how it is. really looking forward to getting it finished.

had a bit of luck and may have got some forks, perfect for it. Saddle i'm now not sure about, but have ordered anyway and managed to possible find some matching grips..

there will be pics from the start of tomorrow and after more work some more pics :D

coomber":7i47nrjx said:
Good good good keep it coming.

Had a go at touching up the frame yet?

Cheers dude :D yes I have, but I'm not too happy with it yet. Think it needs rubbing down and then a t-cut. What it really needs is a respray but I can't afford it at the mo

superstu":7i47nrjx said:
I love Kona AA's - I hope this turns out ok! You certainly seem to be keen and on course so far

Thank you Stu, and ta very much for the front mech. It wasn't my plan to upgrade all the comps to XT, it just seems to be happening ;) hubs are next on the list...

Back