Marin or Orange

dainesefreak

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok chaps/chapesses what would you do?

I'm looking for an Orange HT more than likely a Clockwork, if it happens, but am tempted by this;

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15235

Not saying I'd win it of course but perhaps a similar build. I've never owned a Marin before so I'm not as familiar with the frame as I would be an older Orange. Rightly or wrongly I'm assuming this is a similar frame to a Prestige?? Should I hold out for an Orange or diversify to something like this?

Edit - Don't know what you're talking about! :LOL:

that Marin has a really nice light frame - they rode welll too. I sold a fair few of them BITD. Get it for the right price and you won't go far wrong.

He asked me to make him a good offer, not sure what that'd be though! It's at £155 with a day and a bit to go. Don't know whether I'd regret it not being an Orange though. Rose tinted lenses and all that. :roll: ;)

I went for a good old blast around the country lanes on my other 2 wheeler at lunch time and with it came a clearing of the mind. I think I'll be a keen observer of the Marin but stick to my search for an Orange. ;)

That's quite a nice bike with some nice parts for the money. Bear in mind Marins are much bigger than Oranges because they measure them differently - that 17.5 looks and is bigger than my size 19 C16R, which is about the smallest size 19 you'll find.

I've never had a Marin, but I tend to think of them as a good steady bike suitable for long rides and long ownership, but not as fast and fun as a C16R. The frame of my 95 C16 weighs 4.1lbs, which is very light for a base-model steel size 19, and this is reflected in the entertaining springyness of the ride. No offence to Marin fans, but I think of the Marin ride as steadier, but less fun.

Anthony":vkwvcmgg said:
No offence to Marin fans, but I think of the Marin ride as steadier, but less fun.

no Marin fan either but I'd say that Marin frame is lighter and faster riding than a C16! Maybe not as enjoyable to own though if you get me?

Ok chaps I'm taking in everything that's said. I think Ive been looking for a quick fix as there's no 16-17" Oranges around. I'm sure I'd be regretting it if I bought something else though.

You won't want to hear this but I had an Orange Prestige in 16"/17" that took me an age to shift, eventually moved it on for £45 posted (see cannondalekings Orange for what it looks like resprayed)!

For what it's worth my first proper mountainbike was a Marin Palisades pre super tough, anti graffiti style paint so Marins definitely have a soft spot with me. I don't think you'd go far wrong with the Marin Team or equivalent Orange both great frames (it's like saying do you prefer Abbott or Pedigree, it'll come down to taste but you won't have a problem with either. Unless you fancy a Strongbow).

Back